Need 100% honest fact based answers.

I have used all manner of dies. I currently have around 50 sets, and out of all of them I've had trouble with one set of Lee's, one Redding sizing die, and one Whidden die. I prefer Forster if I can, but they no longer do custom work, so I have to branch out.

That being said, my problems were quickly resolved by the companies that had issues.

I am no expert, it seems that the foster dies are machined to minimum neck diameter...on my last set, 6mm Dasher, on Lapua brass, it seemed to excessively shrink the neck. Possibly between that and thick neck brass and lube, it was enough to collapse the neck ? I have dealt with their CS, had all of my sizing dies custom honed to loaded neck diameter -.002. They have all been very nice and taken care of all my questions and needs....rsbhunter

For case lube, try the lanolin and 99 percent isopropyl alcohol.....costs very little and does an awesome job...lasts forever...rsbhunter

I use Forster seating dies because they give me the best results. So I tried a 308 sizer die and was disappointed because the neck runout was not as precise as my Redding dies, I never did call them, just put it aside. I have called them before with questions and they have always been excellent people to deal with.

I had problems with the the sizer crushing a neck on 6x223 when I was expanding from 223. Like others said I lowered the expander and it didn't happen again. Where I did have a problem was with bullets sticking in the seating die. I was using Berger 105s and it happened with the original and the replacement that Forrester sent. The customer service was outstanding. I just couldn't get their seating die to work for my combination, VLD bullet with a compressed charge of powder. I went to a Redding seater and there were 0 issues.

I know if you have the expander too high in the die it will crush/bulge the neck.
All you need to do is lower it and the problem goes away.
It is much different in position on the shaft compared to other brands. A lot higher actually.
Really should be common sense not to have the expander so high...but people are oblivious to the problems THEY cause at times.

Cheers.
Was going to respond with the exact same thing, its right there in the instructions on how to set up the decapping rod/expander button at the correct depth before using the die.

To the OP: I tend to discount a lot of online discussions about interactions with customer service because the unfortunate fact is that the Venn Diagram of people who don't like to be told they are wrong and people who have issues with a given product because they are using it incorrectly/didnt read the instructions etc is nearly a circle. The internet just gives these people a platform and sense of importance when they feel personally wronged.

I have two sets of their dies, 22-250 and 7 mm-08, and have never had a problem with them. I did read the post and believe the expander ball is set too high and he way have a problem with one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts