Necking Down 6x47 to 222 Rem Mag

M1A1ABRAMS

I know I am probably going backwards with this cartridge, lol. But I have a factory rifle & would like to keep it that way. And just looking for better options in brass. Seeing how there is only Nosler Brass available these days, not much. And the reviews on Nosler brass is somewhat iffy. I can buy the Lapua & Peterson in 6x47 for the same cost. Give or take a penny. It will just need to be necked down. So a simple explanation on the process & any tips would be appreciated. Or why I should not adventure into it. I do have some older Rem brass w/ 1 or two firings. I also know you can use 204 Ruger brass. I don't think this should be a hard task. But as I said I never downsized a cartridge. I am new to reloading for anyone new to the forum that doesn't know this already.
Is the L or P brass harder or easier to work ?
What dies should I have ? Besides RCBS in 222 Rem & 222 Rem Mag.
Will necks need turned after doing this ?
Keep brass separated- headstamp

Last edited:
The 6x47L is the same head size a 308 so that I would like to see
So not doable ? The 6×47 Lapua (6-6.5×47 Lapua) is a wildcat created by necking down the 6.5X47 Lapua to 6mm (not to be confused with the 6X47 which is a 222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm). Sorry I need to remove the L not sure why I put that in there. Thanks for catching that.

You could use 204 Ruger brass by necking it up 224 first and then running it into a 222Remington Magnum full-length die hopefully you don't get a stuck case then it would need trimming and Away you could load

You could use 204 Ruger brass by necking it up 224 first and then running it into a 222Remington Magnum full-length die hopefully you don't get a stuck case then it would need trimming and Away you could load
Problem is trying to find Peterson or Lapua brass for 204 Ruger. I was thinking the 6x47 would be a option to use better brass.

Peterson Cartridge now offers factory made 6x47 Lapua.

Many shooters like the 6x47 Lapua because it produces faster velocities. Also the recoil is even less than the relatively low recoil 6.5. Some shooters like the 6x47 because they find that 6mm bullets outperform the 6.5 projectiles.

So Peterson Cartridge has released factory-made, properly headstamped 6x47 Lapua casings.

Problem is trying to find Peterson or Lapua brass for 204 Ruger. I was thinking the 6x47 would be a option to use better brass.
Problem is the 6x47 lapua is absolutely nothing like the 6x47 which uses a 222Remington Magnum case just necked up to 6 mm the 6x47 lapua is kinda like a 243 case with the shoulder pushed way back and case walls a blown out to just about parallel.

I see thanks my reading comprehension sure seems to be off this morning even after 2 cups of coffee. That or wishful thinking. lmao

Last edited:
Sako still make 222 Rem Mag ammo and brass. The first cases I used when I started reloading were Sako 22-250 and I got 10 reloads out of those cases.
I'm in the USA & finding Sako brass is hard. They have a dealer in Aberdeen Md. But I believe they are just a distributor hub for the Tisa rifles.