neck turning

shootinfool

I just started turning the necks on all of my brass recently and was wondering how often this proceedure should be done, every time you reload, every other time, or what? It is a very time consuming thing to do but If it will provide any extra accuracy, it is worth it. Also, just wondering what this does to the life of the brass, does it decrease, if so by how much?

thanks

I just started turning the necks on all of my brass recently and was wondering how often this proceedure should be done, every time you reload, every other time, or what? It is a very time consuming thing to do but If it will provide any extra accuracy, it is worth it. Also, just wondering what this does to the life of the brass, does it decrease, if so by how much?

thanks

You will get lots of different opinions on this one. The only way to know if it matters or helps is to test it in your rifle. Personally, in a normal chamber, I usually just turn the necks about 75% before their first firing and never touch them again.

Basically there are 2 different kinds of turning. One to set your neck brass thickness to a certain measurement and the other to just clean the necks up like Forester said.

In a custom tight necked chamber you have to turn off enough to allow enough clearance, usually .003". In that case you have to turn brass off the entire neck
DSCN0592.jpg

To just clean up the necks you set the cutter to just hit the high spots
DSCN0716.jpg

IME turning brass off the entire neck is more productive in that it reduces runout more and the necks stay more consistant throughout their life. You should determine how much clearance you have in your chamber by measuring the outside diameter of your fired unsized necks. If you can keep your clearance between the loaded round neck and the chamber within a reasonable range then you can clean the whole neck up. If it is .006" or larger then cleaning them up is better to keep from working your neck brass any more than necessary.

I turn new cases before firing and monitor them afterwards. Usually that is enough.

thanks for the replies, I can always count on people on this forum to chime in with some helpful advise. I think that I will do as recomended and turn all brass once, and moniter them afterwards to make sure they stay within tollerances. Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts