neck turning

Mw185

On Benchrest Central today there is a post stating that 0.002" differences in neck thickness gives a different neck tension on a seated bullet causing accuracy problems. Accuarcy problems on the bench are not problems on the hills so I would sort by total ( loaded ) runout and I will look up the data today and post it for you as a hunters suggestion.

Per my promise to try, despite my computer failures, one tornado and my filing system in which everything is filed under "S" as in somewhere, I found it!!!
From Chet Brown himself:

"Each of us has different set of values, but here is the way I look at it,
1. Bench rest shooting 0.000 to .0005"
2. Long range varmint shooting .0005 to.001"
3 Short range varmints .001 to .002"
4 General hunting .002" to .004"

If you are interested in accuracy, you should not use rounds that are >.004" out of round. As to case necks, you can't expect to shoot 1" groups with case necks that vary 0.005 or more." I have quoted the late Mr. Brown exactly. On 7 Nov I added this Chet Brown finding:" Generally speaking, each 0.001" tilt will throw the bullet off the group center by 1/8" at 100 yards". At long range this is a miss just from bullet tilt or crooked cases, Catshooter--

In my humble opinion, if you are out popping bucks at < 200 yards, go for it as is as the kill zone of 18" is ample to compensate for bullet "wander". But if you are investing in a guided or long range elk or critter hunt, "for a few dollars more" , ahem, I would take the time to sort my rounds with a tool from Midway or many others.

As to "banana cases, Yep! I prefer them in chocolate flavor--- a tad on the crunchy side--. Yep, running them though a sizer will not help.

Life is far too serious not to laugh at ourselves--
Cordially, Overbore
Son, send me a pm if I may give you- one- on one help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.