Neck turning???

smokin_gunn2

I wanted to turn necks on my lapua brass but it's under trim to length already. Should I trim shorter to even out? Just curious on what is to short? My 6.5 CM brass length is 1.906- 1.910. Once fired. Most is 1.907 and 1.908. What to do?

got ya--was making sure you weren't confusing the 2, yes you should trim the cartridges to a consistent length before neck turning so you dont over or undercut the neck/shoulder junction
you are gonna have to make a decision, cut them all to the shortest length, or fire them again to see if they will get longer before you trim/turn them.

why are you neck turning lapua brass? everyone says its so "consistent" you don't need to prep it

Why do you feel its necessary to turn the necks?
Factory built guns as a general rule wont require neck turning the cases, and further more its best you dont.
Even many custom chambers are of the (no turn) variety, so before you do that make sure its a requirement for your specific chamber.
As stated, trimming the case for proper OA length, and turning the outside neck dimensions are totally different things.

I noticed for the most part it was pretty consistent but SD were all over. I figured it was because of first time fired brass. But I wanted to do it early in the brass life. I had excellent results with Norma brass in other guns but this is my first rodeo with Lapua brass. I figured it would grow a little after first firing but it didn't. I know Lapua is a little harder than Norma brass but my other guns are magnums too. I'm still working on load development but for the 6.5 but I just thought I could turn necks and trim to length but brass is still short. I was just curious if all Lapua brass is this short and how short could/ would be safe to trim to to even up brass for consistency.

I have turned necks since I started using mandrels to set neck tension. I have found that even in my factory guns it has helped SD and ES in those guns also its about consistency. I have never tested neck tension without turning. I started doing both at the same time and never looked back. It is just another step in making my ammo consistent and It's only one time in the life of brass.

That's what I was going to do but once fired brass is under trim to length already. I was hoping to prep all brass at once but I guess not with this brass. Just have to batch prep and hope for the best.

How far under min are they. I've had new nosler brass .010 under min trim length, but they were consistent. Turned necks and trimmed as needed as they grew.

Most of brass is .003 to .005 under trim to length. I have about 160 once fired and 120 are in this window. I didn't want to trim to short and affect the accuracy.

Trim to the shortest length and skim turn the necks. On factory chambers you are best served to only skim enough to clean up 95%. Usually with lapau you can remove about .005 and achieve the desired consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.