Neck turning tools - what's your preference ?

Garrum

Neck turning tools - what\'s your preference ?

Hello, fellow copper-tossers. I could use some input from those of you who handload. After reading about some of your experiences with the Redding Competition dies, I'm sort of looking at getting a neck turning tool to go along with my Redding's.
So my question is, which tool do you prefer for the job? I've seen the Sinclair NT-3000 kit, with it's mounting fixture and dial indicator, and it looks mighty precise. It's also mighty expensive, but if it's worth it.... Have any of you used the Forster neck turning tool? Doesn't Hornady make one too? Regardless, I'd like to know what your preferences are. Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Neck turning tools - what\'s your preference ?

Hello

I use the Hart, Forrester and K&M neck turning tools. I have others but, wonder back to those three.
I have them set up for different calibers so I don't have to keep changing the pilots.

The Hart has a micrometer on it. The K&M tool is "very" precise and the Forrester is good also.

There are many good neck turners out there.
My favorite would be the K&M and the Hart.

Sinclare is a good one also.

Later
DC

I have a couple of K&M turners and like them a lot. I have seen the Hart tuner and thought it looked like a nice piece of gear. Dick Wright did an article in Precision Shooter in the last 18 months about the relative advantages of the Hart turner. His consensus was that, due to the angle of the cutter, the Hart was well suited to the first cut removing most of the material, while the K&M works best for the second or "fine" cut which is more of a smoothing out process. Since I usually take two or even three cuts on a case neck, his system seemed to have some merit, though I simply make two or three cuts with the K&M tool at present (turn all cases once, then reset the cutter for the second pass).

Fergus

Wow, you guys don't let a post sit for long, do you?

That K&M tool sounds pretty good. I like the idea of a fine cutting edge, and I don't think I would mind having to make more than cut.

I checked my Sinclair catalog but I didn't see K&M listed. Does K&M have it's own website, or would I have to get it through another source?

I'd also recommend the K&M tool. I've tried several and haven't found one to beat the K&M yet. You can get them at Russ Haydon's Shooters Supply 1-877-663-6249.

Well, with endorsments from the likes of serious rifle loonies like you guys, it seems only sensible to order the K&M turner as soon as funds allow.

Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions.

order direct. call (717) 292-3175. just got my second with the dial indicator for measuring as I cut. Sent my old one back and he modified it for free to the dial indicatior. Has a catalog of other items. also just bought his arbor press with dial indicator on top for measuring seating pressure. Key note, his turner has a carbide pilot(option, get it) that cuts the doughnuts out of the brass if fireforming or moving shoulders.

I have the Wilson and the K&M. I Like the K&M the best, and it's a real nice company to do business with.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.