Neck Turning/ should I /shouldnt I ?????????

[ QUOTE ]
But the question is still on the table (and essentially unanswered) as to whether neck turning for a factory rifle will make a measurable difference in accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It might only make .10% difference and it might make 100% difference. Only the gun will tell you for sure. One thing I am certain of though, is that making the neck wall thickness uniform will reduce a good amount of those dang fliers that just seem to ruin your best groups. So your overall group size might not shrink by neck buzzing, but it might just save you that bleepedy bleep bleep flyer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, Derek. Somehow, I wonder if you appreciate the thrust of this thread? Lucky you, nothing but custom rifles to work with. Can you not see the distinction? This man expects significant results with non Lapua brass in his Savage. Are you suggesting that for him, there is more value in chucking his cases and buying Lapua instead of turning necks. I do not see this conversation as addressing the merits of turning necks, as a remedial effort for custom barrels with known neck dimensions. This man is just wondering about the value of using an accepted precision technique in a factory non blueprinted rifle.

The point that was made, re: R. Schatz; and that you choose to reinforce, doesn't have much application for this question. He doesn't, but others do....so what? Maybe I just look at things a little different? I'm attempting to be a little less anal, and more practical, considering the specific example. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think you need to reread my post in its entirety, especially the last 2 paragraphs. I completely understand and appreciate the thrust of the thread. That is why my third statement made it clear that I do NOT have factory rifles. From that point on, the reader can take what he wants from my post, knowing what differences there may be in my experience vs. what he can apply to his own rifle.

Maybe I didn't write my thoughts clearly. In no way did I suggest chucking any brass. Not sure where that came from. What I thought I made clear was that I turn WW and RP brass because it is of less quality than Lapua. I thought it would be fairly clear when I referenced WW and RP brass and turning necks that THAT is what I have to do too. But that Lapua was less likely in need of it. Sorry for any confusion. But my post appeared to be fair for the topic at hand when I express my experience with the rifles that I own, and that they may not apply whatsoever for a factory rifle, which is why I suggested he try it to see if it made a significant diff.

[ QUOTE ]

But the question is still on the table (and essentially unanswered) as to whether neck turning for a factory rifle will make a measurable difference in accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I wrote the following:

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimately, you should just try it yourself and see for yourself whether or not it makes enough difference for your purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Lucky you, nothing but custom rifles to work with. Can you not see the distinction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, which is why I do not shoot factory rifles anymore. It wasn't luck. It was choice. There is a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
This man expects significant results with non Lapua brass in his Savage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Which is why I suggest he try it and observe the results. Ultimately, that question will never be answered until he does.

[ QUOTE ]
This man is just wondering about the value of using an accepted precision technique in a factory non blueprinted rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know, which is why I specifically wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
when in reality, not all variables are the same for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm attempting to be a little less anal, and more practical, considering the specific example. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. I appreciate your position. But that is why I also wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an accuracy nut , have been loading for the better part of 20 years, and have seen my best groups ever in the last 3 years with better bullets, and added steps in my brass prep.

[/ QUOTE ]

LB, please appreciate this. Not all of the time are my thoughts complete on the thread, but from my perspective, it looked fair and clear. You must not have seen it that way. Was I able to clear up anything?

Do not forget the most important point on Shatz.

He is using a special chamber cut just for stock lapua brass without neck turning. The neck is smaller than a normal chamber. He basically gets the benefit of a tight neck gun without turning necks.

BH

Please forgive me for beating a dead horse and I say this following paragraph not to argue, but I have designed reamers to give small clearance to the necks thereby making them "tight" without neck turning but my brass still got relieved of it's thick side on the neck. This is done for uniform bullet release and is independent and seperate from the reasons we turn necks for clearances on true tight neck chambers. In other words, the reason for neck turning is not just to attain close tolerances, it is ALSO done to uniform bullet release. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Sorry if I wasn't making myself clear.

****, come back from a weekend to find a ****ing contest starting again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To redirect this a little bit here I did say that I didnt think turning for my 25-06 would do much but I was gonna use it as experince for my 270AM, BJ's 6mm-250, and a new gun Kirby is building for us, if he stops hunting so much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, just kinding Kirby but I am jealous as hell

I am simply trying to make more uniform brass, and give myself every chance I have at a long range shot. I am not trying to use this gun for any long range paper shooting or anything like that, just looking to make things more consistant with my hunting gun.

Good information, dont know why eveyone is getting all worked up about this Schatz guy though, not like he walked out there and won with my savage rifle and win brass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.