Neck Turning Pilots...Interchangeable?

Doublezranch

I'm looking to clean up the necks on a new wildcat and I've run into a small snag. My K&M neck turner works awesome, however they only make a 375 pilot for their large hand tuner (ie..50 bmg). Does anyone know if RCBS or Forester make a steel pilot that will fit in the K&M standard neck turner?

Thank you...

Jayson

I'm looking to clean up the necks on a new wildcat and I've run into a small snag. My K&M neck turner works awesome, however they only make a 375 pilot for their large hand tuner (ie..50 bmg). Does anyone know if RCBS or Forester make a steel pilot that will fit in the K&M standard neck turner?

Thank you...

Jayson

I fought this for years and made many of my own pilots to fit the brass better before turning.

Once I bought the Sinclair neck turner with the expander mandrels that size the inside of the necks
to fit the proper turning mandrel I no longer make or use poor fitting mandrels.

I have one expander mandrel for each caliber and one turning for each.

I know it requires a change in neck turners but is the cost is not an issue it is worth looking into.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...urning-tool-kit-w-storage-case-prod38787.aspx

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

Thank you...

Jayson

You want to know the diameter of the shafts of the RCBS and Forster outside neck turning pilots, correct? So you can compare them to the shaft diameter of the K&M neck turning pilots?

Perhaps measure and post your K&M shaft diameter and request that folk with the RCBS, Sinclair, and Forster tools post the diameter of their pilot shafts. Also, I'm pretty sure RCBS and Forster tech reps would provide the ODs of their pilots if you called and asked to speak to a technical rep.

I too use a K&M tool, so I can't provide the diameters off the other manufacturer's pilots.

Alright Forester, Sinclair, RCBS boys with turners. The OD of my K&M pilot is .199. How does this compare to yours? Even if it's close I'd give it a whirl. I do like Jerry's idea of the Sinclair but mine works so good. Hopefully I can figure something out.

Alright...I've seemed to confuse the hell out of myself. I asked my father to measure the OD of the pilot and that's the number he gave. I knew he was confused when I asked him to do that for me. Also, I have the steel pilots not the carbide ones. I have the whole set of expanding irons and pilots. The only issue is that they only go to 338 caliber. I have a email into K&M to ask what their suggestion is. I did see on sniper-hide that someone else had the same problem as myself. They told him he needed the larger Turner...the one for the 50 bmg. Apparently that Turner will accommodate the 375 pilot. I want to hear that from K&M directly.

Tom, do you have a 375 pilot your using from K&M? And if so, did you need the larger neck Turner to do so?

Alright...I've seemed to confuse the hell out of myself. I asked my father to measure the OD of the pilot and that's the number he gave. I knew he was confused when I asked him to do that for me. Also, I have the steel pilots not the carbide ones. I have the whole set of expanding irons and pilots. The only issue is that they only go to 338 caliber. I have a email into K&M to ask what their suggestion is. I did see on sniper-hide that someone else had the same problem as myself. They told him he needed the larger Turner...the one for the 50 bmg. Apparently that Turner will accommodate the 375 pilot. I want to hear that from K&M directly.

Tom, do you have a 375 pilot your using from K&M? And if so, did you need the larger neck Turner to do so?
DoubleZranch,
PMA tools neck turning & expander mandrels WILL interchange with the Sinclair mandrels and vise versa. Most reloading tool companies like to keep their tools and accessories proprietary. However there are exceptions like accessories for case prep centers and trim pilots in some cases. Just an FYI for you guys.

No, they only go to 338 as you mentioned. Forester,Sinclair,RCBS makes pilots for .375 and more than likely they be too small or large to fit the K&M. I ran into same problem for my 35 WhelenAI so I puchased one from Sinclair for Larger Caliber neck turner and I got expander/die also.

Dang...I was worried about that. Thanks for your insight. I appreciate all of you....very much.

Jayson

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.