Neck turning issue

toliver

I'm in the process of turning some necks on 300 wsm brass that have been fired twice.
I ran the .308 sizing mandrel through. Then started to turn necks but the mandrel on the turning tool stops at the neck shoulder junction. It will go in with pressure then turn freely, them hard coming out over that spot. Is this the "donut"? If so what's the best remedy? Never had this issue before. Thanks in advance!

You can try running it through the .308 expander a bunch of time and 'iron out' the doughnut. This should push the doughnut to the outside and allow you to turn it off. Works with my 6.5mm and Hornady neck turning tool

If it's the "donut" you'll need an inside neck reamer to clear it.

You searched for: inside neck reamer - MidwayUSA

But I wouldn't use it on necks of cases that have already been resized. I'd use an expander mandrel to get the neck open to caliber dimensions and then ream.

T +1, I've used the Forster reamer with good success after necking down brass. Might be good to know how the donut got there also. Good luck

I haven't been using a inside expander mandrel. I found one case I missed so I'll see if that irons it out. I was wondering if it could be lack of a mandrel from time to time. Obviously twice shot.

Thanks Folks

I am wondering why turn the necks now? What are you hoping to gain by neck turning?

You will have to change your method of sizing if you are using a FL die. If you have a bushing die you will need a smaller bushing.

There may be little advantage to doing this if you are shooting a factory SAMMI chamber. You might even shorten the life of the necks by overworking them. Or you would have to anneal more often.

I'm in the process of turning some necks on 300 wsm brass that have been fired twice.
I ran the .308 sizing mandrel through. Then started to turn necks but the mandrel on the turning tool stops at the neck shoulder junction. It will go in with pressure then turn freely, them hard coming out over that spot. Is this the "donut"? If so what's the best remedy? Never had this issue before. Thanks in advance!
The "doughnut" forms after you've turned the brass necks down to the neck/shoulder junction and fired the case, unless you radius the edge of the cutting tool a little to cut into the neck/shoulder junction.

I neck turn all the time on fired brass mainly because I buy a lot of once fired, but I've never run into what you're seeing.

I've inside reamed but only on necked down cases where necks were way too thick. I think the "ironing out" process will work. I'd use a good lube like Imperial.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.