Neck turners/ case trimmer style or other??

Steve in Mi

Coyote posted on the Forester neck turner.Saying he has good luck with it . Maybe I am am doing somthing wrong?? I had a recbs on the case trimmer one. I have not had good repeatable results with it. I have heard the same thing on any type that is on a case trimmer. I spoke to sinclair and they claim you need to have a pilot is .002 less bullet diam and this allows slight movement of the case to get a better cut?? I would have thought it to be the other way. Did I miss under stand him ?? Not picking on you Coyote just did not want to bogart the other post.

No Sweat Steve,
I'm curious to hear what others folks have to say on this too.
FYI, I've got the RCBS trimmer too. It is OK for the casual reloader, but has way too much give for reliable handloading. When trimming necks, how hard you push in on the crank can vary trim length by .003" or more. It will also make the cases longer on one side than the other. The Forster is an aluminum block rather than forged mystery metal and far less prone to this flexing. I seriously doubt that neck turning with the RCBS would work reliably.
Good Shooting, Coyoter

Coyoter

It had taken some time to cipher out the neck turning and case trimming technology. The K&M neck turner works extremely well once you get the cutter assembled the right way, :~/ and about 20 or so cases destroyed. The Wilson case trimmer is much simpler to adjust and use. I read somewhere that a caliper adjustment can be added and I believe that will be my next modification.

I'll get to give my handy work a tryout in the morning, then back to the loading bench to analyze everything. Thanks for the help on the other post.

Wish me luck,

TGW
wink.gif

I use the Forester and if the mandrel is not tight it will cut thinner one side depending on which side the case mouth isn't touching when you tighten the collet down on the case. When I got the thing the .308 mandrel was so tight I had to chuck it in drill and polish .001" off to get the case over it without tremendous effort.

Woops just a little too loose though. The side that was pressed away from the mandrel would always be cut, even if it was the thin side, all the while leaving the opposite thick side untouched. The collet was holding it off. Now I have to remove the expander mandrel from the die before sizing to keep it tight on the turner mandrel. It works OK now I guess.

It all depends on my initial neck thickness though. I can see how reaming first then using a cutter that allows the case to float on the mandrel would produce more uniform thickness than a converted trimmer.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts