Neck tension

So, whose mandrels do you prefer, and do you have any thoughts on going with the carbide vs steel/nitride? I have all carbide, but trying to determine if it is worth it. By the looks of your video, it might be worth my while to get a larger set than the standard 1 and 2 thou under caliber size. That's why I was enquiring about what you had referenced.
When neck turning, I like to use the carbide mandrels to turn on because they will fit best and still turn when they are very tight. (Not to tight) for sizing the necks the nitride ones do fine and don't cost as much. I have not found any wearing down of these mandrels ether.

The ones I make are made of Chrome molly and also hold up very well. When I first got started I used the Sinclair mandrels in sets.

Just me

J E CUSTOM

I have heard of folks utilizing the mandrels to set the neck ID just right to allow the proper bullet grip but has anyone checked concentricity before and after? I don't have the means to check anymore but I remember inconsistencies when using the standard ball type expander. I like the idea of the mandrels over neck turning for sure. I look forward to y'all's responses, I have learn so much from JE and so many of you guys.

I have heard of folks utilizing the mandrels to set the neck ID just right to allow the proper bullet grip but has anyone checked concentricity before and after? I don't have the means to check anymore but I remember inconsistencies when using the standard ball type expander. I like the idea of the mandrels over neck turning for sure. I look forward to y'all's responses, I have learn so much from JE and so many of you guys.
It has been my experience that when using mandrels to achieve desired neck tension, that you will have no greater concentricity issues than what was inherently already present in the brass to begin with. That is to say that mandrels have never made concentricity worse for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.