Neck tension w/edge dies

nddodd

Alright guys hope yall can help me with this problem. When I resize my brass with edge dies I was told to do it without the expander ball in it except when sizing up from 300 ultra. When I do this what would cause the neck tension to be fine on some and tight on others. I would say 1 out of every 5 will be quite a bit tighter than the rest.

Thanks
Nathan

The thickness of your necks are not all the same. Some are thinner, less tension, others are thicker, more tension.

Just turn the necks all to the same thickness.

I just ordered a forester .338 neck reamer maybe that will do the trick. Do you think that this will fit into the pilot hole in my rcbs case trimmer. If not I guess I can buy a forester neck trimmer.

Thanks trueblue and everyone else for there info.

Nathan

Nathan,
I have not used the Forester reamer, so I can't help you on that. I have been using the Sinclair neck turning tools. I think you will find when you are done that it will help your uneven neck tension when seating your bullets.

I'm prepping some 300RUM Rem brass right now. The 300RUM Rem brass I've used takes some work to prep. Neck thicknesses are quite variable and theoretically, the bullet release at firing will be more variable with variable neck thickness. I set the neck turning tool to .015 (this is for .308--might be thinner for the .338 EDGE due to being necked up) neck thickness as this generally leaves 60-80% of the neck turned. This is for a factory rifle/barrel and so I don't want to turn any more than necessary as the neck area dimension of the chamber is larger than I'd like it to be--don't want to work the necks anymore than necessary from firing to sizing. The 60-80% idea on factory barrels I picked up from Sinclair's book.

What is the neck dia. of your brass after firing or do you know the chamber dimesion at the neck? With a custom chambering like that your 'smith may have a preferred neck thickness. You just don't want to turn off too much--only as much as needed. Hopefully, you'll be able to get the case necks fairly uniform while not having them expand too much in the chamber and get end up getting some brass hardening issues. Can always anneal, however, if you start to split necks. Some chambers are 'tight-necked' on purpose and the brass has to be turned to fit in the chamber.

Haven't used an inside reamer. That's a different animal. Just used the Sinclair neck turning tools.

If you already know this stuff, I apologize. Just when turning necks, you want to have a good idea of the dimensions involved and why you're doing what you are doing.

I've seen Carlock reccomend Redding Dry Neck Lube as well. Trying it right now and hoping to see if there's any difference over the chrono here soon. Might help the bullet release be more consistent. After priming, dip the case neck in the media a couple of times and then wipe off the exterior. Who knows--might aid in consistency.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.