Neck tension question.

shooters

I recently had a new rifle built. Shoots absolutely amazing. Definitely a one holer. I'm use to running .001-.002 neck tension on all my reloads with every other caliber. This one I decided to just load 20-30 up with whatever I had until my Midway order came in. Neck tensions at .004. As mentioned, it shoots lights out. Is there any reason to change or lower the tension if it's shooting so well? Or what's the main advantages to having .001-.002 as most recommend? Thanks

Unless you just want to experiment I would agree with Frog4aday. Leave it alone. Devote your time to learning to shoot in the wind and perfect shooting technique. What caliber are you shooting?

If it works go with it.

Possible downside might show up at LR if there is a higher es/sd. Not sure if your running a chrono. But typically the higher the tension the larger the variance in release tension. But again if it shoots nice tiny holes at the distances you will shoot only reason to mess with it would be to see just how tiny that hole can get. Are you a person that wants the smallest POA/POI you can get or is there a point for you that is just good enough and you have reached it? Once your inside ethical accuracy for a given range IMO it becomes a personal choice.

The other possible downside is work hardening the necks sooner. You are working the necks more going from fired>sized>fired. If you anneal this becomes far less an issue. If you did not care about case life annealing etc the only other possibility would be changing neck tension from the work hardening with repeated sizing but that matter if it shows up in a decrease in accuracy.

Nothing wrong with testing a load with .002. That is usually where I start for hunting. I do not like to run 001 for hunting unless its a park and shoot single load. I have had some set back on me yrs ago. Might have been they needed annealing but it made me shy away from going that low for hunting.

If it works go with it.

Possible downside might show up at LR if there is a higher es/sd. Not sure if your running a chrono. But typically the higher the tension the larger the variance in release tension. But again if it shoots nice tiny holes at the distances you will shoot only reason to mess with it would be to see just how tiny that hole can get. Are you a person that wants the smallest POA/POI you can get or is there a point for you that is just good enough and you have reached it? Once your inside *Rule 1 Violation*al accuracy for a given range IMO it becomes a personal choice.

The other possible downside is work hardening the necks sooner. You are working the necks more going from fired>sized>fired. If you anneal this becomes far less an issue. If you did not care about case life annealing etc the only other possibility would be changing neck tension from the work hardening with repeated sizing but that matter if it shows up in a decrease in accuracy.

Nothing wrong with testing a load with .002. That is usually where I start for hunting. I do not like to run 001 for hunting unless its a park and shoot single load. I have had some set back on me yrs ago. Might have been they needed annealing but it made me shy away from going that low for hunting.

Thanks. It shoots so well. Recently ran it out from 600-1300 yards and everything in between and it hammers plates all day. By far most accurate rifle I have.

SD is under 10. And it's NEW ADG brass with the 156 Bergers right at 3000FPS with 59g of H1000.
I very much care about brass life and if that's the only other reason to run it at .002 vs .004 well that's enough for me then.
I guess I'll try the .002 bushing.

I have a 30 nosler and it was shooting poor. But it was very easy to seat the bullets with redding dies. Hmmmm measured sized to seated and only .001 neck tension. So I ordered a bushing die. Sized it sown .004 and bingo!!! Tell me if I am wrong but I think with slow burning powder the higher neck tension helps with a burn start. As the other gentleman said the downside is working the brass more. But if it gives me the result I want I do not care. Anneal more often. I do it the old school way. I stand the cases in a pan with a 1/2 inch of water and use a propane porch to heat the neck to a red and tip them over. Very scientific 😝 But it works.

I recently had a new rifle built. Shoots absolutely amazing. Definitely a one holer. I'm use to running .001-.002 neck tension on all my reloads with every other caliber. This one I decided to just load 20-30 up with whatever I had until my Midway order came in. Neck tensions at .004. As mentioned, it shoots lights out. Is there any reason to change or lower the tension if it's shooting so well? Or what's the main advantages to having .001-.002 as most recommend? Thanks
no but I would look at the sd I use 4tho on my rounds better vel but a bit higher sd but it shoots one whole groups

Ok, so consider annealing and tension for a minute.
You should develop your load with a neck tension that you will be running with. Tweaking of this is part of development, but you need to be careful not to chase your tail.
Don't just anneal for the sake of that, while the important thing is actual results from the load.

Some cartridges/loads reward higher neck tension than provided by softer necks.
It won't help to be cracking these necks, so you need to stop doing that. You do this, and hold hardness more stable, with lower sizing. Barring this, because you are not applying any plan, annealing can be a blessing -provided the cartridge/load likes it.

Ok, so consider annealing and tension for a minute.
You should develop your load with a neck tension that you will be running with. Tweaking of this is part of development, but you need to be careful not to chase your tail.
Don't just anneal for the sake of that, while the important thing is actual results from the load.

Some cartridges/loads reward higher neck tension than provided by softer necks.
It won't help to be cracking these necks, so you need to stop doing that. You do this, and hold hardness more stable, with lower sizing. Barring this, because you are not applying any plan, annealing can be a blessing -provided the cartridge/load likes it.
I anneal every case each firing on my 300 win, match prep winchester cases.I am getting 7 firings per case and use a arbor press with the gauge so I know they all seat the same amount

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that annealing is bad, just that it's not always the best thing to do. Pretty much like anything else,, nothing is free.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.