Neck tension on collett die

chino034

I have adjusted my collett die the way Lee says. And then moved the die up and down . and I am not getting very much tension to hold the bullett. My 30'06 will hold a bullett but not really snug. M 25'06 will not hold at all. I thought ABinok wrote once about different mandrels or collets but I can't recall. Jerry Teo wrote about 4-5 thousands tension to hold the bullet during recoil but I am not getting this. Have a great Christmas and great New Year. Shawn

I chucked my mine in a drill and used oiled up sandpaper to take it down about .001 to give more tension. If i want more tension than .002 I use my redding die. I think if you took more than .001 off a lee die your going to have concentricity problems ( or however the hell you spell it)

how much pressure are you using on your press handle?it says in the instructions it takes 25 pounds of force for die to work.i have lee collet dies for 300wm and 30-06.set up by the instuctions they work fine.jason

My brass is once fired. I don't know about annealing. I readjusted everything and put more pressure and am getting about .003-.004 on the inside .308-10 before starting .304-5 after this is measured with a dial caliper on the inside of mouth. I measured my 243 that I use a standard redding nck sizer on and I get about .005 when measured the same way. It just seems a little looser on the collett dies. but the numbers are right.

Thanks.

Die instructions

Shawn,

If I recall, don't follow Lee's instrucitons to the letter. Try adjusting the die up or down with a case inserted. You want the die adjusted so that when you just about hit the bottom of the press' stroke, the die sort of pops. If you have a weak bench, you'll know when you hit that point 'cause all sorts of stuff on your bench will jump or fall over. Might save you $4 plus shipping for a new mandrel.

You want the die adjusted so that when you just about hit the bottom of the press' stroke, the die sort of pops. If you have a weak bench, you'll know when you hit that point 'cause all sorts of stuff on your bench will jump or fall over.
Exactly!
You will know you are there when as you pull the case off the mandrel, you hear a sucking sound, and a pop, as it clears the case mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.