Neck sizing?

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Hello all,

I had a 30-338 Lapua Imp. built and I have not yet gotten my dies from Redding. My question is, can I neck size my 338 brass w/ my 30-378 dies that I already have, so that I can start fire forming my brass?

If so, how?

Thank you,
Steve

Best to wait for the dies IMHO
In therory you could use your 30-378 dies to neck size your 30-338 Lapua because the parent 378 is larger at the shoulder than the Lapua. Unfortunatly the 378 is longer too so you are gona have to push it into the die with a spacer smaller than the base of a 378....Getting it back out is gona be interesting. You could cut .2 off of the 378 but I sure wouldnt recommend it!
Are the 30-378 dies bushing dies by chance? How do you neck down the 378 brass? Does it work with one pass or do you have step dies?

I bought my 30-378 brass from Weatherby, so I didn't have to do anything but clean it up.

My 30-378 dies are RCBS.

Thank you for the input. Thats a bummer, in theory it seemed like a good idea. If there is a (good) way to do this while I wait for my Redding dies, other than the 30-378 dies, I'm all ears.

Thanks guys,
Steve

I don't have a clue Steve. I guess I was wrong earlier today. It seemed to me you could back the die way out and just size the neck with out touching the shoulder. Shows what I know.
By the way, this is Kelly. Also known as k-2... (sound familiar)??:D:D

Hey K-2,

It was good to see you today, been a long time. We gotta go shoot some bullets sometime.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.