Neck sizing

feelinducky

I have a regular Redding neck sizing die for my 270 win. My question is: What is the best way to set the die up? Do I size the entire length of the neck or partial length?

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct this is not a type S die. I does not use bushings. It is just a Redding neck sizer die.

I believe you'll be sizing the entire neck with the conventional die. Be sure to lube necks and pray the expander ball doesn't pull your nice chamber formed necks out of line on sizing. The Redding S style neck die will give you much more control of your neck tension and more concentric necks. Good Luck

I believe you'll be sizing the entire neck with the conventional die. Be sure to lube necks and pray the expander ball doesn't pull your nice chamber formed necks out of line on sizing. The Redding S style neck die will give you much more control of your neck tension and more concentric necks. Good Luck

I don't like donuts

I use a lee collet neck sizing die.

I would start with the dye set so it sizes to 1/32" of the shoulder junction. Use lube on the neck. If the expander/stem is giving high runout, or if you just want to safeguard a against it, don't tighten the stem nut down completely, leaving slight play in the stem. You could also place a small rubber o-ring over the stem, between the stem nut and the top of the dye. Tighten it just enough to leave some play in the stem. You should also have either a body dye or a FL dye since after a few firings the cases can become tight and will need to be brought back down to neck size
again. I used this same set up for about 10 years with my 270 back on the 80's and had no trouble getting sub .5MOAnout of an old Model 70.

You'll need to size the entire neck with that type of die. The reason why is because you need to push the shoulder area back slightly so that it will chamber easily.

If the expander/stem is giving high runout, or if you just want to safeguard a against it, don't tighten the stem nut down completely, leaving slight play in the stem.
lightbulb
This will help. Thanks

I have been eyeing those Redding S dies for quite some time but they are on the pricey size. I'll look at the lee also.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.