Neck sizing with FL dies

You can "partial-resize" by raising the resizing die up off the shell holder a bit. This will usually resize the neck (or most of it) and only lightly touch the body, depending on the cartridge and how high the die is set.

By partial-sizing a case with a full-length die, you can just work the neck. to effectively use the partial-sizing to it's full extent, you'll need to measure your head space on a fired cartrigde. With this reading you should also push the shoulder back 0.002" from the fired dimension. This way you'll be working the brass less, allow springback, and slightly increase accuracy from the cartridge. This is only to be used in a bolt action that will only be firing that cartridge as well.

No, not really. Contrary to what many believe you cannot truly neck size with an FL die. As soon as the die touches the case body you have altered the case and it is no longer "neck" sized. Buy a Lee Collet Die.

I have successfully partially neck sized using the full length sizing die setting the die to size only the first 1/4" of the neck. Yes you do ever so slightly touch the very upper side walls of the case doing this.

As far as bumping the shoulder back .001/.002 this IS FULL length resizing and where all of my dies are set.

Remember this though, if you are shooting a repeater rifle for hunting and use the magazine I strongly suggest that you try each and every cartridge PRIOR to going afield for proper functioning thru the magazine. (outsided please!)

The problem with this process also is that once you get them set where you like and achieve your accuracy loads you may find them hard to chamber where then you have to full length resize them to ease chambering issues hence lost of die setting.

If you want to really go with neck sizing get yourself a setting of bushing dies for neck sizing. Then you only have the infamous doughnut to deal with not a big issue though.

No, not really. Contrary to what many believe you cannot truly neck size with an FL die. As soon as the die touches the case body you have altered the case and it is no longer "neck" sized. Buy a Lee Collet Die.

Sorry for "refresh" this post, but i have the same problem (... with the same caliber).
For my 7mm.RM and for the .22-250R i have no problem to find the LEE COLLET DIE, .... but i don't find it for the .270WSM.

For the FL resizing i have the RCBS Competition Dies set (7mm.RM and .22-250R), and for the .270WSM i use the FL Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension II set.

I really love the Rcbs Comp. Die (with the side window) seater, but i'm not really sure that the Hornady Custom Grade New-Dimension seater would be a good choice, and what i have to do to make the neck-sizing with this "fat" .270 ?

Last edited:
How well it works depends on the case. I do it all the time with my 220 Swift.....lots of body taper. Same with the '06 and H & H family of cases. But, when you get into the more moden cases with very little body taper, or improved versons of the cases listed above, it is very hard to do. Then it will depend on your die/chamber. A tight chamber and a die on the big side would make it possable. the other way around.....not so much.

How well it works depends on the case. I do it all the time with my 220 Swift.....lots of body taper. Same with the '06 and H & H family of cases. But, when you get into the more moden cases with very little body taper, or improved versons of the cases listed above, it is very hard to do. Then it will depend on your die/chamber. A tight chamber and a die on the big side would make it possable. the other way around.....not so much.

Ok, you are saying that the fire-forming could have no sense, (making only the neck sizing, with the FL die unscrewd for about 1 turn), if the die "touch" (... and then resize ...) too much the body of the brass ?

.... HOW can i make the neck-sizing on the .270WSM ? .... The Lee Collet Die there isn't on the catalog ....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.