Neck Sizing W/Bushings

Brent

Can one size the neck 3/4 the way down the neck on a fireformed case so the base of the neck centers the case in the chamber even though the chamber is factory?

Chamber is .346"
Loaded round is .337"
Bushing is .334"

I finally got my sizer die (Redding S) and figured I could tighen groups up some, but wondered if anyone's done this on a factory chamber before with success?

I read the Wilson bushings only size 40% of the neck and it got me thinking. I figured .75"-.100" of neck above the shoulder would give me enough to center the case up good and still leave plenty of support for the bullet. Any thoughts?

Good news, thanks. Is it difficult to cut the top of the die for the bushings use? Can I have this done to my Redding FL die?

If you are partial sizing your necks, consider a conventional neck sizer. Reason is the increased neck tension these dies provide. In general, they oversize brass.

They are easy to set up to size any amount of the neck. Watch that the unsized portion of the neck does not grow too much causing stiff chambering. I use this method in my 30 Gibbs due to available dies on hand.

If the brass is neck sized properly, the loaded round is already concentric with the bore (the case body controls that fit). The alignment caused by the partially sized neck is not that critical. Go to a fully sized neck if you find your bullets setting back during recoil.

Jerry

Jerry, I already have the bushing neck die and have a few bushings too so I can change the tension if needed.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.