Neck sizing for ARs.

klf

Has anyone tried with any success neck sizing for an AR? I single load each round and fire them in the same rifle. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. I think I will stick to full length resizing and skip the aggravation. :D

Along with full length sizing you should also bump your shoulder just a bit and this will insure perfect feeding as the case isn't in the chamber long enough to size and you also will see more consistant accuracy with this method as well.

gun)

Has anyone tried with any success neck sizing for an AR? I single load each round and fire them in the same rifle. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Most people that neck size do so for better brass life and accuracy.

For simi autos I recomend full length or minimum sizing so they will function. but if you
only want to single load then it's fine as long as the chamber is perfectly concentric (Most
are not)

Most factory chambers are on the loose side in order to handle a wide variety of ammo
and with the ammo sized small chambers do not have to be perfict.

If you want to neck size only, first size one piece of brass and insert it with the head stamp
up and close the bolt slowly to see how it fits. then eject it slowly and rotate it 90o and
close the bolt slowly to see if there is any difference in the way it chambers.

If there is a difference in the way/ease it chambers the chamber is not perfict and body sizing
will be required.

J E CUSTOM

klf,

Full Length sizing only in an AR, or any other semi-auto, no exceptions, ever. Neck Sizing will eventually give you major headaches in a Service Rifle, it's just a matter of when, and how bad it will be. Murphy's law comes to mind here, and I suspect that Murphy Neck Sized for his ARs.

No dice. full length sizing only unless you load one at a time ,and you will still need to have a cleaning rod a a mallet close by to knock the jammed catridge out of the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts