Neck sizing for accuracy

It's referred to as an Appeal to Authority fallacy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
Summarized as [a claimed authority's support is used as evidence for an argument's conclusion]
In my lifetime so far, I've noticed that those who engage in this are consistently weak in actual understanding. Otherwise, they would never need to reach for it.

There is another factor that steers our reloading community: Mob Mentality.
I can't find a reference to it now, but there is a recent study demonstrating that collective intelligence drops with numbers collaborating. This ultimately predicting that mobs are least likely to act with sound judgements. And also, that human democracy can never really work in our best interests.
It is a uniquely human flaw, and arguably a human strength(like greed), provided we act with awareness of it.

Much of that is common sense to the rational among us. No scientific evidence needed.
The hook that drew me in went something like this:
Take 1,010 people of average intelligence. Form 10 groups of 100 to collaborate for solutions with 100 difficult problems. Have the 10 remaining work individually on the same problems. They also tried this with variances to group sizes.
The result: The 10 individuals would always score higher, and the disparities always grew as group sizes were made larger.

It explains a lot of things I've suspected in my career, and historically.
For example, those good at taking tests know to assign highest weight to first impressions of the answers. Never let the little voices talk you into wrong answers.

It was not a group that invented the light bulb. And consider this; assuming the light bulb would have been invented, eventually, would a group have done it? How would a group do it? Is there any group today, any among humans, who can wipe their own butts, much less produce a product that is actually something new?
I say we're lucky to have people thinking for themselves, regardless of motivations (like greed).

Last edited:
Mr Cortina knows and lives shooting, as do many of the guys he competes with. They back up their statements with performance and sound logic. I use to neck size then switched. To each their own, but discounting the other side does nothing.

When I got out of the military in 1973 I bought a Remington 760 pump and a Lee loader. The problem with neck sizing was the third time I fired these neck sized cases they would not eject until the cases cooled off. That night I bought a Rockchucker press and some RCBS full length dies and my cases ejected every time.

In the book that mikecr linked by GLEN ZEDIKER he tells you for a semi-auto rifle the full length resized cases should be .003 to .005 smaller in diameter than their fired diameter. This allows the case to spring back from the chamber walls and extract reliably.

On a bolt action lifting the bolt straight up is primary extraction and breaks the case free of the chamber walls. Pulling the bolt straight back is secondary extraction and removes the case from the chamber.

Chambers and dies vary in size, as a example I have a Lee full length .223 die that will reduce the case body diameter more than my RCBS .223 small base die. So nothing is written in stone when it comes to resizing dies.

My point being sooner or later with a neck sized case you will need to full length resize the case so it will fit in the chamber and extract reliably. And if you full length resize the cases are a uniform size each time they are sized. And the bolt lift or primary extraction does not get harder each time the case is fired.

Bottom line, I full length all my cases I use for hunting and only neck size cases for some of my old milsurp rifles with long fat chambers to shoot at the range. And as I said before the best part about reloading is the person pulling the press handle decides how to do it.

P.S. I do not have a magic unicorn like CatShooter so I full length resize every time.

ydx65vv.jpg

But even Saddam Hussein's cat preferred neck sizing but its a dying practice.

oYX8YZT.gif

I think the reason so many look to competitions like Br, F class, or ELR is because those guys are proving what works against others working just as hard to win. Anyone can get online and talk, but going to a match and proving it is what matters. As awesome as this site is, its not where to go for actual information on what is really happening in competition these days. And I still maintain that your very best information will come by word of mouth at matches. Very few active competitors post online.

Last edited:
does neck sizing only on brass fired in ones rifle improve accuracy by making the loaded shell square in chamber (concentricity). looking for consistency.

It sure did in my Savage heavy barrel .223. I fired several groups over several days. I proved beyond any doubt neck sizing improved its accuracy over full length sizing.

Another thing I tested during this 2,000 round test was squaring the heads in a Wilson case trimmer. Consistantly the squared head rounds proved to be more accrate than the control loads.

Consistantly the squared head rounds proved to be more accrate than the control loads.
I have also seen this on target, when a gunsmith messed up lug lapping in a friend's Remington. The case heads formed out of square and consistently threw fliers from then onward.
Apparently the heads were skewed enough to cause chambered pressure points.

I most often bump neck size my brass with Forster dies. Leaves the body alone and ensures easy fitting brass.

I don't understand messing with brass custom fitted to the chamber of the gun. Get 2 thousandths neck tension and 2 thousands neck bump. Reloading is a little like a golf swing, everybody has their own method.
I do FL some brass and love when the Lee collet die works well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.