Neck sizing and overpressure signs in 338LM

Sampson,
I know Mike sounds like the guys on Grumpy Old Men , but he is growing on me.
Sometimes it seems he doesn't read things right, but his advice is on the right track.
Of course mine is better. LOL!!
He and I are saying about the same thing, but in different ways.

I believe he is saying that you are shooting a hot load for your setup.
A milder load may enable you to neck size a couple of times before you have to size the body and push the shoulder back..

But if you like the load, and having great results, use it and size the body and/or push the shoulder back each time.
Your brass won't last as long, but who cares. You can always buy more.
Just accept the fact that you have to size the entire case.
Keep an eye on the cases and get rid of them before you have case head separation or rupture.
AS he said the powder charges in the books are nominal figures and you may be developing much more pressure in your setup.

I've had some setups that were way overpressure far from book max.

I have a 338 Lapua Improved and have a custom FL bushing sizing die that I use each time.
I have had great results with it. Shooting groups just larger than a quarter at 565yds.

Last edited:
This same thing happens to a friend's 300RUM. Reloader 22 and neck sizing doesn't work at all. He sees pressure below the book minimums shooting 190 Bergers and the bullets were all over the target, but when he FL sizes, no pressure at all with Retumbo at max load recommendation. He did not try the Reloader 22 with FL sizing as yet, but may in the future. It's just weird that he has pressure when just neck sizing, but add powder and FL size and no pressure... Anyone have insight on this?

It's just weird that he has pressure when just neck sizing, but add powder and FL size and no pressure... Anyone have insight on this?
Insight: He's changed two things at once, invalidating any conclusion at this point.
Also,
When you say "he had pressure when just neck sizing", you're not making any sense at all. What he might have had, is difficult brass fit after firing, given his load.
And he didn't solely 'add powder', he 'changed powder'. So it would be wrong to notion that he FL sized+ADDED powder to reduce pressures. Neither of those reduce pressures.

Now it might mean you can run higher pressures -and still extract cases alright, -with FL sizing.
Or it might not mean that at all..
There are multi-factors going on here that are being generalized as a single issue.
Well, that single issue is not neck sizing. Many of us do it all the time. We manage.

ROCKZ, I do agree with you completely.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.