Neck sizing 257 Wby

Lonehill

Planning on neck sizing 257 wby and getting my equipment in order. Have reloaded a ton of varmint caliber, have never neck sized. It is my understanding that neck sizing is in order for this cartridge. Would the the standard RCBS neck sizer die suffice? Loading once fired Weatherby brass. Some not fired in this rifle, planning full length size first, then neck sizing couple three times until chambering issues arise. Thanks

Loading once fired Weatherby brass. Some not fired in this rifle, planning full length size first, then neck sizing couple three times until chambering issues arise.

This is the usual plan of attack for any reloading procedure for once fired brass, especially if it has NOT been fired in your rifle's chamber. Be sure to use a good lube and polish your expander ball. Take precautions to be sure that your dies are aligned in the press to avoid concentricity problems.

Planning on neck sizing 257 wby and getting my equipment in order. Have reloaded a ton of varmint caliber, have never neck sized. It is my understanding that neck sizing is in order for this cartridge. Would the the standard RCBS neck sizer die suffice? Loading once fired Weatherby brass. Some not fired in this rifle, planning full length size first, then neck sizing couple three times until chambering issues arise. Thanks

This is the only quote I could find that actually referenced neck sizing only to be desirable:

"For best accuracy, reloaders should seek to maintain optimum bullet to bore concentricity, best achieved by neck sizing rather than full length sizing."

-- .257 Weatherby Magnum --

I've been shooting the .257 Weatherby for quite a number of years and I spec my reamers and produce my own rifles so I never have to second guess what size my chamber is.You on the other hand are not quite so lucky.I would cast the chamber or at least fire some cartridges to make sizing dummies for your reference. Then make some feeding dummies to see how the rifle responds to neck sizing only. If there is the slightest bobble, then it's a no go on the neck sizing only. It's a simple test to answer your questions and prevent failure in the field.

Everyone will have a personal preference or opinion on which dies to use. I don't use RCBS dies at all any more. Too many inconsistencies in what they produce for the reloader. I also shoot long range benchrest and tactical competitions so I spend a lot of time reloading with a selection of gear to produce accurate and dependable cartridges. Wildcats require that I make my own dies but generally speaking Redding, Forster or Whidden will save you some aggravation in the long run.
Always usea good lube when resizing.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that it was possible to mis-align a die in your press.

The quality of the threads and the precision with which that threaded hole is aligned with the ram can and does create misalignment.

What's just as bad is the lack of quality with the making of the dies. Some of those are not straight or concentric either.

Regards.

I believe that FL sizing should only be done when and only when it is needed, it over works the brass. Neck sizing only works the neck and is far superior.

New brass or from a different rifle I FL size then collet size until I get to the 6th fireing after that I aneal and keep going.

I have not had any issue with sticky chambering.

A note though, you may find that the neck tension is greater in FL sized brass to collet sized brass, at least I do. But, the tension with my collet sized brass is more consistant

As I stated above, everyone will have an opinion on what works best. The biggest problem is that the opinions will usually be based on one example or situation whereas we need to address the larger picture based on dozens or even hundreds of examples in order to see a good cross section of successful treatments.

It is also important to take into consideration where the chamber comes from. Factory chambers are notorious for being non-concentric, oblong, overly long, poor surface quality, etc. These will generally need the most consideration given the lack of quality. That's why a good suggestion is to create some test cartridges (unloaded but with a bullet) to see what methods work best. Even some of the 'custom' chambers created by inexperienced gunsmiths can be faulty so we can't assume that they are truly the best available.

While it is certainly possible to get a chamber which functions flawlessly with just neck sizing, it is certainly not the general rule. Those that do get a great chamber should consider themselves lucky.

Regards.

I've reloaded thousands of 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5 Grendel, etc. I weigh my charges to the 1/10th of a grain, usually weigh sort my brass and use lake city or lapua brass with benchrest primers. My press is the time proven RCBS Rock Chucker that is still the go-to for many competition shooters. All my using rounds are proven sub moa loaded with precision in mind. So, I have zero reason to believe my threads are off. Back to my original question please which was thoughts on equipment to properly neck size this cartridge. I'm fully aware of the reasons for doing so and the safety concerns etc, etc.Thanks

I would go with an RCBS die and change out the lock rings to Hornady.

I would not use a Lee Collet Die.

We are all different.

I actually prefer RCBS lock rings except on the Forster CO-AX press and Dillon.

I love my Lee Collet Dies. I use them on 223, 243, 260, 300WSM and more.

For all my Weatherby chamberings, target shooting neck size to save work on the brass. For hunting .002 shoulder bump. I don't have Lee Collet for the Weatherby's. I use Hornady magnum neck sizing dies for that. I "black" the neck for adjustments and don't go down to the curve.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely don't want to overwork my brass. Brass is high. I've got friends getting up to 8 reloadings with neck sizing other wby cartridges, others getting as few as 3 with just FL. The shoulder design intrigues me. Guess I will look at RCBS neck sizer and Redding as well. Redding die set has option of using replacement VLD bullet seating stem, wanting to load up 115 gr Bergers. Jfseaman, am I understanding correctly that you are shoulder bumping by adjusting your FL die?

What am I missing here? (yes, this is an old thread :))...How can I bump a shoulder .002 with a FL die without FL resizing of the brass?

I neck size my 270 Wby and only use that brass/cartridge in that specific chamber. Do not have any issues with feeding...

As with you...I never touch the curve...

To keep things as concentric as possible, I always tighten my dies with a case in the die and use a Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater die...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.