Neck Size Bushing ?

Agunner012

Happy holidays and thanks in advance,

I need some Neck sizing bushings to take a .338 down to .308. I see they make steel and titanium bushings, titanium being 2x the cost. Can I use the steel or is it better to go for the titanimum? I realize you get what you pay for but is there really a big difference here?

Thanks
Andrew

I've found no big difference between them. The Ti nitride coating "is" harder but, unnecessary IMHO, it's just a tad slicker if any. I use both and lube not a single neck on either FWIW...

Re: Neck Size Bushing ? Hi Brent

[ QUOTE ]
I use both and lube not a single neck on either FWIW...

[/ QUOTE ]

I use both and lube all cases with a touch of Imperial Sizing Wax. This was suggested by Redding to maximize uniformity.

By the way, bushings have very little taper and seem to be a poor choice for sizing down case necks. Conventional dies are usually a better choice.

VH

Re: Neck Size Bushing ? Hi Brent

Thanks Andrew. Good to finally be home too!

I lube when I'm sizing 338 Lapua necks down to 30 cal, whoops!

Normally I do not though, just haven't seen a measurable difference w/ lube or w/o. Cases get layed on a pad 10 at a time rolled once on the body and in the FL bushing die they go.

Bushings have a pretty good chamfer to them and using them to neck down is quite easy really. I've opened the bushings chamfer quickley even more with an old case neck chamfer tool then polished, drill bit works well too, Ti nitride coated ones aren't a problem either. The actual ID of the bushing itself (Redding or Wilson) has no taper to it, they are indeed the same ID at both ends.

I agree though, conventional dies work well, they just lack the neck tension/sizing control offered by the interchangable bushings.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.