Neck Shot Disappointment

I was born and raised near where you're living. The Tunica Hills seemed like mountains.…..not so much after mov'n to Wyoming.

My first moose expired on a hill so steep that I had to tie him off as not to go to the bottom. We (friend and I) had to dig out footholds so we could gut and bone out the bull! An experience not soon forgotten!

If you look closely you can see the yellow rope tying him off! memtb

nzuI5apl.jpg

jl5j1yKl.jpg
Thats a nice moose. I need to go shoot one before I get too old lol. Yes I hunted Tunica as well. It's very rugged for LA. Big Timber rattlers as well.

This last Monday, I was whitetail hunting in the Central Texas Hill Country, out of a blind of course. About 30 minutes before it got too dark to shoot a huge Axis Buck wanders into the feeder, I ranged him at 125 yards, my 6.5 Grendel shoots a .4 group at that range with the 120 Gr Nosler. I place the crosshairs about an inch behind his skull connection with the spine and squeeze one off, I see the bullet impact, it looked to be a perfect shot hair flew off the other side, he went nose down in the dirt, buckled front legs, bull dozed with his back legs for about 10 yards, he then tumbled into a little ravine out of site. I know he is dead, just out of site, never hear anything like legs kicking or any movement, I wait about 10 minutes and walk to the ravine. To my surprise, there is no Axis in the ravine, as a matter of fact there was not a dead Axis anywhere to be found and not a drop of blood at the impact point or in the ravine. I looked that evening until it was too dark to see, I got friends to go out with me the following morning, we looked for 3 hours and never found a sign of the Axis.
I have shot a bunch of Whitetail deer, hogs, Black Buck and Axis with that little cartridge and not once has anything even taken a step, all DRT. I am just sick that I wounded it and couldn't be found, I am sure that he eventually died. All I can think of that could have happened is the impact was just a little low and impacted meat only. I have chosen that very impact spot many times in the past and it has always resulted in a quick end to everything until this time.
I guess this incident just shows the need to keep shooting as long as they are moving, to say the least, probably the most disappointed I have been in a hunting situation in a very long time.
This could have just as well been a bullet failure, did not penetrate. Lead core bullets do that from time to time. That bad experience will never leave you, unfortunately.

Well, I have fretted about this for a couple weeks now, well not really fretted, just thinking maybe my bullet selection may not have been a good choice other than it prints a really small group consistently, I have done all of the ballistics calculation and at 120 yards that little bullet is travelling a little over 2200 FPS. According to Nosler it expands double at speeds as low as 1500 FPS. I went to the range and shot 5 - 5 round groups at 100 yards and no group over .4 with 2 groups right at .3, so its shooting where it supposed to and no flyers. I went online and looked for ballistic jell tests for that bullet and 6.5 Grendel rifle, I found one, well actually 2 of them and they fired the bullet/s at different speeds to mimic long and short-range expansion of this bullet. Even at 1200 FPS the bullet expanded nicely and penetrated 14 inches. At 22 hundred and some change FPS it penetrated 22 inches with an approximate wound channel 3 inches in diameter and 7 inches long and expanded at least double or more.
As I have stated earlier, I have taken many animals with this little rifle and this bullet and everything prior to this incident was dead before it hit the ground, I was and am still very confident with this Nosler bullet and I am confident of the shot placement that I chose the day of DISAPOINTMENT. I have talked to the hands at the ranch, no buzzards, and they haven't seen him moving anywhere, so either he is dead and in a whole or alive and not moving during daylight. If he is alive, he\'s one lucky Axis, if he is dead then he is not so lucky but one tough Hombre to walk away from that shot.
I just have to mark this up as another case of there ya are, wouda, shoulda, coulda, it just wasn't the Axis, or my day, the day of Disappointment!!
I thank all of you for the comments, suggestions, condolences and even the light bashing🤕, I am off to another hunt this weekend and expect success, I wish all participants on the site success in all your endeavors no matter how small or large they may be!!!!!!!

Spitzer Ballistic Tip
Same bullet besides caliber I have witnessed stop dead in The back of the skull on a mule deer buck. Dazzed the buck but it got back up and Regained its momentum. Another different round put it down. The bullet in question did very little damage and I never Allowed them to use them for deer again. This was a shot out of a .30-06 within 100 yards FYI.

Spitzer Ballistic Tip
Ballistic tips min opening velo is 1800. Looks like you were above that. It's actually a pretty stout bullet
Same bullet besides caliber I have witnessed stop dead in The back of the skull on a mule deer buck. Dazzed the buck but it got back up and Regained its momentum. Another different round put it down. The bullet in question did very little damage and I never Allowed them to use them for deer again. This was a shot out of a .30-06 within 100 yards FYI.
strange things happen. One result is just that. Especially with a head shot. But I understand how it goes. Had a similar thing with some game kings. Personally have killed a ton of deer with Ballistic tips with no issue. The 150 in the 06 was like a lightning bolt. Bang flop.

strange things happen. One result is just that. Especially with a head shot. But I understand how it goes. Had a similar thing with some game kings. Personally have killed a ton of deer with Ballistic tips with no issue. The 150 in the 06 was like a lightning bolt. Bang flop.
Some ballistic tips are great for hunting! Accubond, amax, ELDX and a few others. Regular nosler spritzers are not great for much more than blowing up prairie dogs, jacks, or chucks.

Neck or head shots are both great, when they work…..which is most of the time.

However, it's much like the war on terrorism. They only have to be right once …..we have to right every time. Gambling is best left in Vegas! memtb

I once shot off hand at a coues deer and saw it do a flip in the air. It was 4' off the ground with its feet straight up at one point. I landed in a heap, then ran behind a juniper tree. I walked confidently up the the juniper expecting a dead deer, and was so surprised when it jumped up and ran away, I didn't get a shot off. I knew I had hit it, so I looked and looked for blood. I finally found a 4" piece of its antler on the ground. That's what is known as knocked for a loop.

lots of " my position" comments on here.

to OP: sorry you didn't recover the game. that is incredibly frustrating. no hunter ever intends to shoot an animal and not harvest it. i know i hunt for meat to feed my family and friends. i love a nice set of antlers but i learned early from my grandfather "you can't eat the horns!"

i've seen game killed with a lot of different shot placement and bullet types. i've seen a lot wounded as well. the vast majority of those wounded require a follow up kill shot. i've aided in providing a number of follow up shots.

i've killed game with shoulder shots which ruins a fair amount of meat
i've killed game with rib shots
i've killed game with head shots
i've used neck shots to finish off many animals

nothing/no option is foolproof or without faults.

practice often! be very confident in yourself and your equipment! shoot straight! and do unto others as you would like done unto you!!
😁

Recent Posts