Neck Roasts

Tyler Kee

IMG_4320.jpeg
Right off, I'd like to say that I feel like a real fool for overlooking neck roasts for so long. I sure have let a lot of meat go to waste over the years and now I'll never throw another neck away again! So when I found myself with a dead antelope at the end of October, I figured I'd give it a try. Those antelope sure are fun to hunt and great eating.

As usual - I started at Hank Shaw's website and found his Venison Pot Roast recipe

https://honest-food.net/venison-pot-roast-recipe-polish/

I used a boned roast as I'm leery of CWD. This antelope was large enough that I split the roast in two and used one half for this recipe and I have another in the freezer.

I didn't have allspice berries and I didn't have whole peppercorns. I did however have a dash of cinnamon and cardamom which I tossed in the boiling wine. I just used ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, and a $7 bottle of cab.

After 4 days in wine, the roast looked awfully unappealing. And the smell was unique for sure. Not bad, but definitely odd.
As usual, flour and fat made everything better.

Another deviation from the original recipe was that I used some stock made from last year's black buck instead of water. Did it make a difference? Who knows, but I felt good about putting two antelope together in the pot.

After two hours in the oven, the meat was starting to loosen and the smell was intoxicating. I didn't have parsnips or turnips, so I just went with carrots, celery, and potatoes.

Final result was incredible. The sauce had a ton of body and refrigerates solid - always a good sign in stocks and stews. It needed a touch of salt, and as usual, it was better the next day. I actually tossed it in the freezer in anticipation of our next cold front. When I cooked this dish, the outside temp was 80! With temps in the 30's this morning, I knew it was time for a thaw for lunch.

This is a great recipe and fairly idiot proof. It takes a couple days to make, but not much of it is active time. Wife and mother in law both loved it as well - always a good sign!

IMG_4160.jpeg IMG_4316.jpeg IMG_4317.jpeg IMG_4315.jpeg IMG_4319.jpeg

View attachment 163568 Right off, I'd like to say that I feel like a real fool for overlooking neck roasts for so long. I sure have let a lot of meat go to waste over the years and now I'll never throw another neck away again! So when I found myself with a dead antelope at the end of October, I figured I'd give it a try. Those antelope sure are fun to hunt and great eating.

As usual - I started at Hank Shaw's website and found his Venison Pot Roast recipe

https://honest-food.net/venison-pot-roast-recipe-polish/

I used a boned roast as I'm leery of CWD. This antelope was large enough that I split the roast in two and used one half for this recipe and I have another in the freezer.

I didn't have allspice berries and I didn't have whole peppercorns. I did however have a dash of cinnamon and cardamom which I tossed in the boiling wine. I just used ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, and a $7 bottle of cab.

After 4 days in wine, the roast looked awfully unappealing. And the smell was unique for sure. Not bad, but definitely odd.
As usual, flour and fat made everything better.

Another deviation from the original recipe was that I used some stock made from last year's black buck instead of water. Did it make a difference? Who knows, but I felt good about putting two antelope together in the pot.

After two hours in the oven, the meat was starting to loosen and the smell was intoxicating. I didn't have parsnips or turnips, so I just went with carrots, celery, and potatoes.

Final result was incredible. The sauce had a ton of body and refrigerates solid - always a good sign in stocks and stews. It needed a touch of salt, and as usual, it was better the next day. I actually tossed it in the freezer in anticipation of our next cold front. When I cooked this dish, the outside temp was 80! With temps in the 30's this morning, I knew it was time for a thaw for lunch.

This is a great recipe and fairly idiot proof. It takes a couple days to make, but not much of it is active time. Wife and mother in law both loved it as well - always a good sign!

View attachment 163566 View attachment 163567 View attachment 163569 View attachment 163570 View attachment 163571
Oh man that looks awesome. Can't wait to do a neck roast from my buck this year!

Going to do this this weekend...on the pellet grill. What this grill does for roasts is amazing. I do them all similar, season to tastse, wine and water in the roasting pan. Smoke an hour then, increase heat in stages for a couple hours. 250 usually is my max temp but sometimes go to 295 degrees. Baste frequently. Can add a pan of water next to roast to increase moisture. Keep it on the rare side. Reheat s great and day 3 sandwiches or fajita wraps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.