Neck Bushing Question

Hunt5BN

Hope someone can help me with a neck bushing question.

Background: I am loading .308 Winchester using Lapua brass and Hornady 178-gr ELD-x bullets. The loaded rounds have a neck diameter of .337. I am using a .335 bushing in a Redding die. Prior to resizing a spent casing the neck diameter is .340. Once I FL resize the brass with the .335 neck bushing (no expander button) the neck measures .332-.333. Shouldn't it come out as .335?

The only change I have made in my reloading process is I sent the spent brass out to be cleaned and annealed.

Thanks in advance!

IME, it should come out 0.335-0.336", but this is why they make the sizes! 0.333 is 0.007" neck tension. I would try a 337 and 338.

i have a 337 for sale....
337 for sale

A .335 bushing should hold that ID, but it won't mean necks will size & springback to exactly .335 with it.
Also, by 5thou of neck sizing the results are lower than stamped on the bushing because the higher sizing angle rolls brass further inward. Take that .337 bushing sale!

Last edited:
Once I FL resize the brass with the .335 neck bushing (no expander button) the neck measures .332-.333. Shouldn't it come out as .335?
If your removing the button expander imo the neck will always be over sized, that what the expander is supposed to do, bring it back to an acceptable diameter otherwise you will have to much tension.

I know people dont want to use factory die expanders so as to reduce runnout but you still need to use an expander, whether its a precise .001 or .002 mandrel.

Last edited:
for what it's worth I use a custom honed Forster FL die without expander spindle sized at 0.334" for my 308 Lapua brass. What you're doing is really no different than me. I think you'd be doing great if you do another step with a mandrel die.

It's also good to turn necks on all your brass to make sure all neck sizing is consistent. I use a Forster "Original" lathe trimmer to turn necks of all my 308 brass to 0.014" thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.