Neck Bushing Height

live2huntmt

I see Redding makes a custom competition bushing neck sizer die with an adjustable micrometer on top to adjust the height of the bushing. How critical is the bushing height? On my Redding FL bushing dies, I place the bushing with the numbers down, screw in the top and back it off 1/16 of a turn and set the lock ring. Am I sizing too much of the neck?

see the taper on the bushing . soot brass and try to get a gradual radius at the neck shoulder junction

you lost me Dusty...you attached a link to the seater die and not a bushing sizing die.

i had 4 paragraphs typed and lost it .. when i checked post i didnt have time to type it all out again .. 243win pointed a good point ..

for a quick post .. be certain the body size/shoulder of a dummy round is as close to 0.00 as possibile .. soot and keep dropping lower ..

basically the only purpose of the dies main adjust nut is to stop your measurement pointed toward you ..

i have found that it doesnt drop all the way to shoulder like you may expect it would, i aim for a radius look at the nck/shldr junction .. if you use soot as you start dropping the neck die youll be sure of whats going on in there ..

i have a 300wm set that i dont think it drops as far as it should .. the neck length on that cartridge is fairly short .. a 30.06 you could leave and 1/8" high and still have enough room for a good seating grip ..

if your getting enough to grip tension to hold in place for whatevers that rifles purpose is, run it

you could use the micrometer for false shoulder COW tricks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts