ND Looking for Sharpshooters

BuffaloBob,
it's that hard for you to believe, well then you've just meet one of those people that has a hard time spending the money on a hunt that you can't keep all the meat you shoot. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they would allow a guy to shoot what he wants and keep what he shoots.

I also hunt about every day it is fit to hunt here in ND so i'm not one of those keyboard hunters, if that's what your condicending reply was all about.

BignGreen,

I'll agree with you, having an elk in the sights is a good day. Not getting all the meat sucks though.

xdeano

I would have no problem getting only a part of the meat. I'm a fairly successful hunter so I get as many tags as I can and I kill way more than I need, but I give a lot away to friends and family who need it , or older people in the church who can't get meat for themselves. If it was a thing where they were just shooting and walking away then I would not want to take part but it sounds like the meat will go to some people who need it.
It really sounds like a win, win situation for all involved! If you lay it all out this will likely be a very good thing, the park starts meeting it's management goal, people are helped in the community from local resources, 200+ people in motels for 5 days during a hard time for local tourist economies, very little tax dollars spent on volunteers, it actually seem so smart that it's hard to believe that it has anything to do with our National Park system.
Just the way it seem from afar I guess.

I will have to agree it will bring in revenue for the state through tourism so to speak.

I to would have a hard time with them shooting and leaving the meat spoil, that wouldn't be right.

I to give a way a lot of meat during the year to friends and family, and having them deprive me out of extra meat to give away really jerks my chain.

xdeano

7,000 applicants or not. You will never get a chance if you don't apply. I was told I didn't have a chance being hired where I am at if I didn't know someone. I guess they have been wrong now for about ten years now.

Funny thing about probability someone has to be picked and it sure won't be you if you if you don't apply. As far as hiking boots apply a park rep. has to come also. I'm not worried, besides it will give me a reason to pass up the smaller mulies in the badlands. I can claim I am getting in shape for the nat'l park thing. You see the glass is always half full.

Brent

I'd say if you want to hunt elk, put in for the state draw, you'll have a better chance.

It is all probablility as you say, I'd rather have better odds.

xdeano

7,000 applicants or not. You will never get a chance if you don't apply. I was told I didn't have a chance being hired where I am at if I didn't know someone. I guess they have been wrong now for about ten years now.

Funny thing about probability someone has to be picked and it sure won't be you if you if you don't apply. As far as hiking boots apply a park rep. has to come also. I'm not worried, besides it will give me a reason to pass up the smaller mulies in the badlands. I can claim I am getting in shape for the nat'l park thing. You see the glass is always half full.

Brent

Couldnt agree more. Cant win if you dont play.

I am glad to see them letting the general public get a chance to harvest some of their OWN elk.

I am applying for sure. Some have the pioint that it may suck, which it very well could. Then again it might be the adventure of a lifetime. Either way I doubt its a hunt any of the lucky volunteers will ever forget.

Pretty neat deal. If anyone here goes then how about letting us that can't make it know how it went.

My name has been in the hat for this thing for a while. Hoping that three of us get picked, and we gave a lot of dates we were willing to pull away for to do this so who knows? I think it's great, I don't care if I get to take any meat at all. I have always supported our NPS- it really is one of the best thing this country has ever done. If I can aid them as a volunteer and do something I enjoy at the same time, why is that a problem?

If Yellowstone wanted to cull some bison and let volunteers do it instead of Montana Dept. of Livestock herding and slaughtering I will be first in line. I can't imagine why some of you would prefer that some bureaucrats with helicopters go out and do something that people like me are willing to do for free.

You guys need to remember this is not a hunt. this is a culling operation. People have been bitching and complaining for years about a state wasting money spending outlandish amounts of money for sharpshooters when Joe Schmo is willing to do it for free.

Personally I agree with their decision to use lead free bullets because then they are putting parameters around the bullets guaranteeing decent penetration and performance and not some ******* running in there using varmint bullets. you may complain about what if your gun doesn't shoot them well. The shooting requirement is like 5 shots within an 8" circle at 200 yds off of bags. This won't be a hunt where the Park Ranger is going to let you sit down and take 500-800 yd shots.

They have already said they may not retrieve some animals if it is hard to get too. There is a good chance by December a lot of those draws and ravines may be covered in several feet of snow making them pretty hard to get out.

I'll agree, it can get kind of nasty out there in the winter time. People don't understand what kind of weather we have up here in Nov and Dec. It isn't going to a base camp in colorado. I'm sure they will have some perameters about the wind chill, if it's -10 F with a wind of 15mph i doubt that they'll even let you out. That's a warm day. ;) We get some days in January that it hits -30F with a 25 mph + wind, you'd better bring your long johns.

Anyhow Good luck to those who put in. Speaking of that did anyone get drawn on here?

xdeano

Yea some of those temps get tough. Usually we try and get out coyote hunting a few of those calm -25 degree days until last year when I was driving home after coyote hunting and my windshield shattered on my truck. Sounded like a gunshot in the cab.

Hello. I looked into that ND slaughter that will take place in. They have picked all there teams. No app's taken after Aug 10th,2010 They said they had 13,000 people apply from 38 states. They take you out when your team is called with very short notice. They use GPS tracking on the elk. They know right where they are at all times. ND says this is not a hunt. It is simply a elk reduction to get the numbers done. they have approx. 250 shooters choosen to get the job done. If they can't reduce the numbers done from 1,000 to under 400 they will round the elk up and shoot them inside a pen ain't that nice. You can kill as many as possible but you only can keep one cow. This is strictly a cow shoot only. PETA WILL JUST LOVE THIS DEAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.