NC Red Wolves - I need your help

jett

I need to ask a favor of my fellow LRH members.

Below are links detailing my issues with the Red Wolf reintroduction in NC. The wildlife on my farm has been decimated by wolves and now by the resulting hybrids as coyotes have migrated heavily into the red wolf territory. The two are readily interbreeding. The Defenders of Wildlife are actually now suing our state to stop killing coyotes! The situation is critical. Wolves are no longer just a Western problem.

You guys have a vast knowledge of the impacts of wolves on wildlife. Most North Carolinians do not have this first hand experience. Please read and comment on the following links:

http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/...ration-scandal

http://compassnews360.com/node/2013/...d-in-arapahoe/

North Carolinians need to hear what you have seen first hand.

Please then contact NC officials and warn them:

Here is a link to the contact information for our Wildlife Commissioners:
NCWRC Commissioners

Here is a link to the NCWRC Staff contact information:
Director's Office

The red wolf program in NC is failing dramatically. We now may have an opportunity to end the program. It started 26 years ago with 4 breeding pairs, peaked at 21 and has now declined to just 8 breeding pairs as coyotes have invaded the wolf territories. USFWS confirms that 40% of the wolf packs contain coyotes. The result is that USFWS has created a new super coyote that is out of control and rapidly destroying our wildlife. The Defenders of Wildlife and the Red Wolf Coalition now are filing for an injunction to protect coyotes!!!!

Thank you so much for your help.

Jett

Guy's you have heard me say that Jett allows me to hunt on his farm in eastern NC. I have seen these dogs up close and personal. They have grown to be very large. My estimate up to 65 to 75 lbs. The wildlife numbers are surely going down on the farm. It is not right for a man's farm that he has spent a LOT of money on to have a place for his family to enjoy be destroyed buy the the government trying to save one animal while destroying several more. This must be stopped. They can not control these overgrown hybrids so they must allow the hunter to do so. Dan

The whole situation has been disconcerting since the 80's. I am not too fond of the idea of these "super yotes". If they are interbreeding as much as the reports have suggested then the whole gene pool will get pretty much washed as far as the red wolves are concerned, so that program is a moot point by now anyway. The coyote population does NOT need to be enhanced as much as it already is to begin with.

Thanks Bowstryder,
I know it is a pain, but can you post your view on the links provided and maybe send am email to our Wildlife director?
Jett

In case you didn't know it already: genetic testing has shown that red wolves are nothing but coyote/grey wolf cross-breeds. As such there is an argument that this is not an endangered "species" as it can be replaced any time they want to cross-breed wolves and coyotes. This may also be why red wolves & coyotes will cross-breed as reported.

Having been "up close & personal" with wolves in Montana & Idaho I can say that if I had a farm with wolves on it that there would not be wolves on it for long.

Landowners in NC just need to implement the "SSS" predator management program that was developed in the Western states when the Clinton administration introduced the Canadian strain of wolves where they had never previously existed.

SSS = Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up.

Nuff said.

Many of the dog trackers used for locating lost hunting dogs will reportedly find any collared animal, including protected animals. I have been told this is why they stopped collaring black bears in the blue ridge mountains since hunters could easily locate the bears. I would think the same equipment would locate dens of collared wolves.

I'm a fan of the "SSS" method myself. The only problem is with an animal like this it would take A LOT of people being on the same page. Thats how wolves were originally removed from areas, and it worked just fine until idiots got involved.

I'm a fan of the "SSS" method myself. The only problem is with an animal like this it would take A LOT of people being on the same page. Thats how wolves were originally removed from areas, and it worked just fine until idiots got involved.

The fewer people involved the better. Those that don't know can't rat you out. One man, one weapon, one shovel and no bragging makes things simple. The biggest risk is from radio-collars that "stop transmitting" in a given location. Hopefully people know enough not to bury ANYTHING at that location as a tracker may have a record of it if they have been monitoring this animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.