Narrowed to two for NRL Hunter and LR Hunting

GSSPatterning

Narrowed it down to the NX8 4-32x50mm, FFP or Kahles 5-25x56mm DLR. I'll use it for LR hunting and NRL Hunter matches. I demand FFP, illumination (I have had to use illum before while hunting so demand it in a hunting scope), X-mas tree style reticle, top notch glass and precise dialing/RTZ.

Looking for reasons or experince with either, hopefully both to push me one way or the other. I have the money for either.

I looked at both, NX8 2.5-20x50 and Kahles 318i. I feel their is a lot to gain with the extra power versions for only 2 oz gain in weight.

Competition rifle is Surgeon 581 SA in 6.5x47 and hunting rifles are both long action 6.5x57BR (my wildcat) or 300 PRC.

Thank you for your time to answer a question asked by sooo many.

Alan

I've never shot behind a Kahles and I've also never shot an NRL Hunter match (or any match for that matter) so take this with a grain of salt. I do own and hunt with an NX8 4-32 and I think it's a good hunting scope. The parallax is sensitive for this scope and I could imagine doing more fiddling around than I'd want on the clock trying to engage multiple targets and multiple distances in a match scenario. I think the Kahles would probably be a better scope in those types of situations. If you're ok with the size and weight of the Kahles then I would also be looking at the ATACR Line from Nightforce (4-16, 4-20, or 5-25) for the slightly better glass than the NX8 and more forgiving parallax.

If you're ok with the size and weight of the Kahles then I would also be looking at the ATACR Line from Nightforce (4-16, 4-20, or 5-25) for the slightly better glass than the NX8 and more forgiving parallax.
I was told by NF that the NX8 uses the same glass as the ATACR but I do not have an NX8 to compare my ATACR's to but the are spoken of highly by James at BC. The rotating eyepiece when you change the power bothers me on the ATACR but I am told the NX8 does not do this.

I was told by NF that the NX8 uses the same glass as the ATACR but I do not have an NX8 to compare my ATACR's to but the are spoken of highly by James at BC. The rotating eyepiece when you change the power bothers me on the ATACR but I am told the NX8 does not do this.
I've heard that the NX8 and ATACR share some glass as well so maybe "better glass" wasn't the proper wording. But even so, you're talking about 30mm tubes and 8x erector system in the NX8's vs 34mm tubes with 4x or 5x erectors (other than their LPVO) in the ATACR line which I think gives it a slightly nicer more "forgiving" view. Like I said in my first post I think the NX8 is a good hunting scope. Generally one target at one distance. Multiple targets at multiple distances and constantly fiddling with the parallax in a competition setting is where I said the NX8 might not be as good of choice as the Kahles or the ATACR line.

I use the 4-16 ATACR on my NRL Hunter and hunting rifles. I use the 5-25 on the PRS guns. You won't need more than 16 in NRL Hunter. I run mine around 12-14 for virtually everything. The smaller FOV at the higher power makes it slower to get on target.

The more important part of the higher power scopes in FFP is that, at lower powers, your reticle subtensions are harder to see. There are few folks in either PRS or NRL Hunter than effectively can use 20x or more. You'll find better results at lower power and need to be able to quickly see your subtensions.

I've heard that the NX8 and ATACR share some glass as well so maybe "better glass" wasn't the proper wording.
Was on the phone with NF earlier today to get a new flip up destroyed on a hunt(I appreciate that they have always answer the phone with a knowledgeable person) and inquired about the NX8 glass again. While it is the same ED in the ATACR line not all the glass components are the thicker ED to save weight, and the entire eyepiece on the NX8 does not rotate when you turn the power, it has a more traditional power ring. That is one of my gripes with the ATACR and NXS.

I've heard that the NX8 and ATACR share some glass as well so maybe "better glass" wasn't the proper wording. But even so, you're talking about 30mm tubes and 8x erector system in the NX8's vs 34mm tubes with 4x or 5x erectors (other than their LPVO) in the ATACR line which I think gives it a slightly nicer more "forgiving" view. Like I said in my first post I think the NX8 is a good hunting scope. Generally one target at one distance. Multiple targets at multiple distances and constantly fiddling with the parallax in a competition setting is where I said the NX8 might not be as good of choice as the Kahles or the ATACR line.
In your opinion does the touchy parallax in the nx8 hinder it in any hunting situations?

In your opinion does the touchy parallax in the nx8 hinder it in any hunting situations?
In ANY hunting situation?? Sure, it's possible. I still won't hesitate to use one on one of my hunting guns (it's currently sitting on a 7 SAUM). I am not in any way saying the NX8 is a bad scope at all. I was ONLY saying that if the OP was ok with the weight of the Kahles then "by proxy" he'd be ok with the weight of an ATACR and in MY opinion, that would make a better crossover scope than the NX8. Nothing more.

In ANY hunting situation?? Sure, it's possible. I still won't hesitate to use one on one of my hunting guns (it's currently sitting on a 7 SAUM). I am not in any way saying the NX8 is a bad scope at all. I was ONLY saying that if the OP was ok with the weight of the Kahles then "by proxy" he'd be ok with the weight of an ATACR and in MY opinion, that would make a better crossover scope than the NX8. Nothing more.
Gotcha. Thank you. Asking bc I am in the same boat looking at similar glass for what is mainly a hunting rifle , that will cross over as my target rifle. Trying to pick up as much info as I can before buying the next optic

Kahles for me.
I don't need that extra magnification for hunting or for competing.
I would be very content with a 18x for that matter.

I use the 4-16 ATACR on my NRL Hunter and hunting rifles. I use the 5-25 on the PRS guns. You won't need more than 16 in NRL Hunter. I run mine around 12-14 for virtually everything. The smaller FOV at the higher power makes it slower to get on target.

The more important part of the higher power scopes in FFP is that, at lower powers, your reticle subtensions are harder to see. There are few folks in either PRS or NRL Hunter than effectively can use 20x or more. You'll find better results at lower power and need to be able to quickly see your subtensions.
This!

This has got me really thinking. In the 5 NRL Hunter matches i've been in I cannot recall ever going above 15x which is the power I typically run in comps. If I changed from the 4-20x50 ATACR and moved to the 4-16x42 i'd be dropping 6 oz of weight and still have the power I desire/need for NRL Hunter. The reason I even started down this rabbit hole was I'd been using two different NXS Compact 2.5-10x42's for hunting. Plenty of power for 1000 yd shots; killed a bull @ 950 on 10x and did not feel handicapped. The extra power I want above 10x is for target ID; cow or spike..... little buck or doe? Ran into both scenarios this Fall. It it wern't for my fellow hunters being on their spotter scopes I might not have shot the proper animal when I struggled at 10x.

The downfalls I can think of with the 4-16 vs 4-20 1) 89 moa dialup vs 130 moa 2) minimum paralax focus distance of 45 yd vs 11 yd 3) 42mm vs 50 mm.

Can we discuss these three? To me, these three are miniscule. 1) With any of my hunting/NRL Hunter rifles/calibers I believe 89 moa will be more than enouogh. 2) The only time I want 49 yd or less focus distance is NRL22 comps where 25-50 yd targets happen all the time. For now, I have a dedicated Athlon Cronus on my 22LR comp rifle. 3) I'm guessing i'm only loosing a few minutes of legal light for hunting?

Oh, and do I understand that at lower power range, say 4-16 vs 4-20 or 5-25, the FFP reticle, at lower power seems larger/more useful for quick, upclose shots?

Please, jump in with your thoughts!

Alan

Recent Posts