Narrowed it down to Savage..

ma1shot

Narrowed it down to these two ( SAVAGE 10 FCP-K 308 WIN MAG and 11 FNCS 300 WIN MAG ) anyone have any input positive and or other wise. It'll be for or up to 1000 range/target only no hunting.

Narrowed it down to these two ( SAVAGE 10 FCP-K 308 WIN MAG and 11 FNCS 300 WIN MAG ) anyone have any input positive and or other wise. It'll be for or up to 1000 range/target only no hunting.

Go pick them up and see how they feel to you. The stocks are a little different on each so it might be a matter of preference. 308 will be easier to handle if bench shooting due to less recoil. The 300WM will be a flatter shooter no doubt.

Between the two for 1000 yd target shooting I'd say the FCP-K. The 111 FCNS is more of a hunting rifle, light short barrel gun.

If you want a long range 300 win I'd jump up to the 111 long range hunter in the 300 win. The LRH is only 40 more bucks than the FCP-K in list price.

If I didn't already have a 116 with a McGowen 7mm rem barrel on it the LRH would be my next long range gun.

Between the two for 1000 yd target shooting I'd say the FCP-K. The 111 FCNS is more of a hunting rifle, light short barrel gun.

If you want a long range 300 win I'd jump up to the 111 long range hunter in the 300 win. The LRH is only 40 more bucks than the FCP-K in list price.

If I didn't already have a 116 with a McGowen 7mm rem barrel on it the LRH would be my next long range gun.

+1 on the upgrade to the 111 LRH. I will say though, because you are doing target only, there is no need to burn that much powder and be abused. The .308 with a 175grn Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills in the same bullet will perform for you just fine. If you load, then your bullet options only increase from there. There are many different match rounds available for the .308. If you should come across any M118LR ammo from the military, you have the same stuff snipers have to use. The .308 will be the best all around rifle for punching paper you could ask for. There is a ton of ammo and will be a lot cheaper to shoot and last long (barrel) than the 300WM will ever do. Expected barrel life of a .308 with heavy usage and taken care of properly can last up to 6,000 to 10,000 rounds. The 300 will probably give you a barrel life of 3,000 to 4,000 rounds of usable accuracy.

The .308 will also teach you the technique of wind calling. Because of the lesser recoil you will be able to concentrate on trigger control, body position, and not worry about being abused. I think the 10 FCP-K will be an awesome teacher for you as the shooter.

Let us know what you do,
Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.