N570 and the stw

bsnyder

Has anyone run n570 with the 168 Berger? My stw is being stubborn. And only wants to shoot with 8133. Which I only have half a pound. I haven't seen 8133 in a long while. I'm about to rework up load data with retumbo. I also have to rework my 131 hammer load as I started crimping and I'm having serious pressure Issues. My non crimped load shot just under an inch which I was not enthused with.

That's the first powder I ever locked up a bolt with. It was fine that morning at 70 degrees that afternoon 90 plus bolt locked. That powder taught me my first lesson in temp stability. I just finished loading up some with retumbo but I don't have more than 8 lbs like I do with 570

Vihtavuori 500 series powders give lots of options. You want to pick the 500 series powder that best matches the bullet weight for caliber. N570 achieves amazing results with 190 grain and heavier in a STW. Same with a 180 grain in a standard RM. If shooting 180s in a STW I would drop to 565 and with 168s down to 560 or even 550.

I personally have not witnessed any temp issue with 500 series powders, but that's just me. At least no worse then Retumbo or 7828 SC in the same summer heat of winter arctic cold.

I subscribe to the heaviest bullets for caliber to better overcome wind and more lethalness farther down range. IMHO....weight overcomes speed with modern high BC bullets. Again....this is just me.

STW= 195
RM = 180
264WM = 156.

Most all these "older" designs have to slow of factory barrels but when barreled to match new "modern" calibers like 28N or 6.5PRC...they hold there own or even still are KING!

jjw
ND

Yeah, I went out last weekend and got three shots off before it heated up. So I guess I just have to wait for the weather to cool down dang it lol

Only bullet I've ever shot mine is a 168 Berger vld hunting and it has worked very well on Whitetail deer out to 1180 yards.
Which is about maximum distance for that bullet to expand at the speed I'm shooting it.

Do you mind sharing your load? Start low and work up is what I will do but at least I'll have a jumping off point.