N568 Vihtavuori Powder

I just loaded N568 behind a Sierra Game King 175-grain 7mm bullet in a 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel. 73.6 grains, COAL 3.315", right at 3,000 fps (30 deg. F ambient temp) muzzle velocity (measured, about 25 fps less than what QuickLoad predicted). This was a compressed load, 104%. Powder came almost to the top of the neck. Tapped the filled case gently on a hard countertop a dozen or so times, and it settled below the neck, no problemo. QuickLoad told me N568 was faster for this particular powder/bullet/cartridge combination than several other powders commonly used with the 7RM, notably Reloder 22. Just the right amount of energy in a completely full case, I guess. . . . Interestingly, we had to use Federal 210 primers (no 215s available). That may account for the actual vs. predicted muzzle velocity. Anyways, here's one load that really shines with N568.

Requested load from VV, finally got it back.
6.5 PRC
Berger 156

N568
63.1 2985 fps 102%

N565
59.7. 2930 fps 98%

RL26
57.8. 2944 fps 90%

Retumbo
63.3. 2986 fps 106%
What barrel length are those velocities from? I started a ladder with 568 and 156s but I need to go higher. I'm wondering if I will run out of case before I even hit pressure.

I just got the QuickLoad data update that includes N568. If anyone would like to see its calculations for a given caliber and bullet, please let me know.
175 Berger Elite Hunter in 7SS (7 SAUM is close enough, just do seated to 2.950) N565 vs. N568 vs. RL26 would be awesome! 20" barrel would be my preference. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well Anyone having any successful loads in any cartridges that out do existing N565 and N570 powders for speed or accuracy or Both ? Just wondering as I have not loaded or shot any of mine yet , Thks !

Any.......a case that has good fill with N568 will hold equal or more N565 or N570. Those two powders have a lot more energy than N568. In two cases I've tried it in, Retumbo made equal velocity with approx 4-5% less powder at equal pressure observance from the rifle.
N568 should be a little slower than 565, so on cases that have the room, with a slower burning powder, you should be able to achieve more velocity with lower pressure, even though you're using slightly more powder. If you can fill the case with N565 and still be under pressure, then you definitely wouldn't want to be looking at slower powders, but instead faster (to whatever extent you can keep pressure down). That's why I was asking what cartridges. N570 isn't very temperature stable, and N568 supposedly is, while being somewhere in the middle of the burn rate between 565 and 570.

Looking at the load data, you can see this play out (using 6.5 PRC as an example):

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 17.13.18.png

If you're running things over SAAMI pressure limits, the dynamic may change somewhat, and most certainly, if you run out of case volume before you hit pressure limits, it's the wrong powder.

I'm looking at N568 for 7SS because N565 is a touch faster than optimal for the case, but N570 sucks if you deal with wide temperature differentials, which I do. N568 looks like a great middle-ground while still being temperature insensitive like N565, but should net a little more velocity.

N568 should be a little slower than 565, so on cases that have the room, with a slower burning powder, you should be able to achieve more velocity with lower pressure, even though you're using slightly more powder. If you can fill the case with N565 and still be under pressure, then you definitely wouldn't want to be looking at slower powders, but instead faster (to whatever extent you can keep pressure down). That's why I was asking what cartridges. N570 isn't very temperature stable, and N568 supposedly is, while being somewhere in the middle of the burn rate between 565 and 570.

Looking at the load data, you can see this play out (using 6.5 PRC as an example):

View attachment 331897

If you're running things over SAAMI pressure limits, the dynamic may change somewhat, and most certainly, if you run out of case volume before you hit pressure limits, it's the wrong powder.

I'm looking at N568 for 7SS because N565 is a touch faster than optimal for the case, but N570 sucks if you deal with wide temperature differentials, which I do. N568 looks like a great middle-ground while still being temperature insensitive like N565, but should net a little more velocity.
Well all know this to be the case.. but n568 does not show the same consistency as 570.. vv has said this should be pretty much the same burn rate as 570 but meter way better in a sense. It does not produce the velocities it should in any case that I have tried. It shoots well. But for instance my 7mm reamer sees 3k with a 24 inch barrel and 180 bergers.. 568 got 2940 before it started showing signs of pressure compared to retumbo..
Long story short.. it's a good powder you just need the right case ... so far in the norma ais it's not doing anything retumbo cannot or will not do
Kasey

Well all know this to be the case.. but n568 does not show the same consistency as 570.. vv has said this should be pretty much the same burn rate as 570 but meter way better in a sense. It does not produce the velocities it should in any case that I have tried. It shoots well. But for instance my 7mm reamer sees 3k with a 24 inch barrel and 180 bergers.. 568 got 2940 before it started showing signs of pressure compared to retumbo..
Long story short.. it's a good powder you just need the right case ... so far in the norma ais it's not doing anything retumbo cannot or will not do
Kasey
Totally with you, that's why I responded with all the info - when I asked in what cartridge, I got told "any", which didn't make any sense. I hear you loud and clear. Even their own load data shows it's not really N570 in speed, it's somewhere between N565 and N570, but temp stable like N565. That's why it's interesting to me - if it nets me an extra 50fps on N565 and stays temp stable, I'll be happy. Sure, I'd like 100, but I'll trade a little velocity for being able to shoot in the morning (60-70) and in the afternoon (90-110) in TX without issue. It's great hearing it shoots well, that's my more pressing concern. No deer/hog/whatever is going to care about 50fps, even at the longer distances.