N565 for 28 nosler?

doug2080

Was wondering if anyone has tried the N565 with their 28 and if so what kind of results they got. Been using US869 with decent results as well a rl33 with promising results. Seems N570 is the go to in the 28 but that stuff being like hens teeth I thought I might give 565 a try but wanted to check with you guys first and hopefully get a starting point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You don't specify a bullet, weight or seating depth so it's hard to judge what will work in your rifle.

I tested VVN-565 with 180 gr. Bergers and found what I think is that it's a little too fast for seating this bullet out. Now this type of opinion will draw others into the fray who don't mind having a low fill in their cases. I like my case full or very nearly so. Performance was O.K. not stellar though but I didn't waste a lot of time or powder when I saw the fill.

On the other hand, using lighter bullets, 140 gr. Berger, with the SAAMI throat, the VVN-565 worked out quite well for the fill and I think over time could produce some excellent groups.

My preferences for the 28 Nosler are N-217, Retumbo, VVN-570 for the heavier hunting bullets.

You don't specify a bullet, weight or seating depth so it's hard to judge what will work in your rifle.

I tested VVN-565 with 180 gr. Bergers and found what I think is that it's a little too fast for seating this bullet out. Now this type of opinion will draw others into the fray who don't mind having a low fill in their cases. I like my case full or very nearly so. Performance was O.K. not stellar though but I didn't waste a lot of time or powder when I saw the fill.

On the other hand, using lighter bullets, 140 gr. Berger, with the SAAMI throat, the VVN-565 worked out quite well for the fill and I think over time could produce some excellent groups.

My preferences for the 28 Nosler are N-217, Retumbo, VVN-570 for the heavier hunting bullets.

My bad. I'm currently shooting the 160 accubonds and my try the 168lrab.

Imr 8133, Retumbo, N570, H50BMG, RL33 are well known for the 28 nosler. Only the first 3 are known for temp stability. This is in reference to 180gr+ bullets seated long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.