N560

Csquared

Well, I am sitting on a few pounds of N560, and because I cant seem to get my hands on any H1000 lately ( and I have a freaking awesome load for 180 TTSXs with that powder...), I was wondering if anybody out there has had some luck with this powder in a .300 Winny. I am looking to load 185-215 Berger Hunting VLDs...anybody tried this combo? BTW, the rifle platform is a mildly worked over Rem 700 (trued/blueprinted action,pillar-bedded stocker barrel). I also want to try this combo in a friend's Savage-I might be wrong, but I am thinking that the mag length on the Savage might limit me on those long, beautiful VLD's...

I have tried N560 powder in several rifles my 270 win with great success. It looks good on paper with the 300 win mag the max fill rate is a little low but should not be a problem. I have not tried it in my 300wm but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try with the 185 or 190's.

On paper it looks better with the lighter bullets velocity with over 200 gr tapers off fast.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I appreciate the input, Bob. I will give 'er a go. I am also going to be working up a load for a new rifle in 6.5x55 Improved (40 degree shoulder). I am thinking that with the case capacity being comparable to 6.5-284, it should work with Berger 140's and the N560. It's not far off in capacity from the .270, which you indicated it worked well in...any experience with this powder in the .264/6.5mm class of rifles?
Chris:)

I agree N560 is good in my 260 and 6.5x284 like 0.05 MOA. I have some ready to try in 6.5-06 starting at 50 gr with the 140VLD. I expect it will be pretty good significantly less capacity than the 270 win though.

I really like H4831SC with the 260 rem, 6.5x284 and 270win I also have some loaded to try with the 6.5-06 as well. Velocity not as high but accuracy has been stellar. H4831sc has proven to be a good starting place with everything 6.5 I have tried. I would not hesitate to use N560 in all the aforementioned including your AI which should be a very interesting cartridge.

Be sure and let us know your results.

Shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.