N.M. Oryx Hunt

charles bonner

Just completed an off range Oryx hunt this past Sunday.This was an unplanned hunt and like most that happen quickly it turned out to be better than expected.I got the chance to get a permit on Friday and after a fast trip to NM G & F in Las Cruces had a permit in my hot little hands.
Hunt started at sun rise on Saturday(these hunts are good for the month) driving roads looking for tracks in the sand.After finding tracks we set off on a long hike to run down an Oryx.Now I'm old and recovering from surgery;so after several miles I returned to the truck leaving my younger friends to the chase.Waiting for them to return I sat on the roof of the truck and had a bunch of Oryx run by;but had no chance for a shot.Just before dark on Saturday we found a herd of Oryx;but in the fading light I was not comfortable with an 800 yard shot and chose to pass.
Sunday started the same as Saturday and we found fresh tracks right at sun rise.Off to the races again.After several hours I once again had to call it quits and return to the truck.After eating and drinking lots of water I headed to a near by high spot where I could see a fence crossing planning to see if there were any fresh tracks coming into the area I could hunt.When I got on the rise I spooked a herd of seven bulls that chose to run and cross the fence into the area I could hunt.Now I have tracks with black feet in them to chase.I manage to catch them twice ;but can't get in position for a sure shot before they are gone.I think I know where they are headed;so I break out the cell phone to call my friends hoping they can bring the truck to pick me up.When we finally make connections they tell me they are 10 miles away ,wore out and can't get back to the truck.Can I return and drive around to pick them up.I quit the tracks and head back.After a long drive I get to the pick up spot and wait for them to return.We sit in the back of the ttruck and eat lunch and drink a lot of cokes and water to get them fit to travel once more.Then it is back into the truck to find my long lost Oryx.When we get to where they should have gone we found their tracks crossing the road and we are off and running.One of my partners,a wonderful young lady,says go without her as she can't take another step.
We hit the tracks and in about 3/4 of a mile we round a mesquite bush to see 9 of those beautiful masked faces all looking directly at us.They start to scatter and it looks like it is going to be a moving shot so I launch my shooting sticks and mount my rifle.A 32 inch bull stops broad side at about 150 yards with of course a little mesquite in front of his body.I looked quickly and found a hole I thought the bullet could get through and sent a .277 -130 gr Nosler ballistic tip on it's way.Aim was true and the bullet centered the shoulder and stopped at the hide on the off side.As he broke to run he crashed into a mesquite and turned a complete flip.Then it was only dust as he thrashed and his herd mates departed.We were able to drive right to him and load him up for a trip to my freezer.Had the first burgers last night and they are great.
This was my 5th Oryx and I have taken 2 with a .375 H&h ,2 with a .270 Win and 1 with a .264 Win.All have been 1 shot kills;but all have been center punched in the shoulder.The bullets have been 270 gr Hornady and 130 and 120 gr ballistic tips.This is a really fun hunt because you can hunt for a complete month and if you can spare the time and effort you should get an animal. Good Hunting Charles

Awesome report!! I was stationed at Holloman for 4 years and never once got drawn. I should have put in for a land management tag and shot a management Oryx. If I ever make it back to NM, I'll have to try my luck at it again.

Results of the N.M. draw will be posted on the 8 th. of May and I sure hope I draw something;but an Oryx would be my first choice. I have started a new rifle that I just shot my 20 th. shot through and I want to use it on one.I had Krieger true my Remington action and install a 30 " -.300 Win Mag. with a muzzle brake.So far it seems like a real shooter.I had an old HS precision stock and a Jewell trigger I put in it.Berger 210 VLD s seem like they are going to shoot into one hole!
If you ever get that permit for an off range permit I might be able to help.They have really over hunted the off range herd.If I ever draw again I will take my trailer out about 10 days before the hunt and stay until I get an Oryx or the season ends!Retirement Sucks!gun)

I got my draw for july off range. this will be my third hunt. I have more success on oryx draws than elk. Its been 6 yrs since my last hunt for oryx. Anyone have a good area for off range? I was think of starting on the north end of WSMR and them maybe working my way around the west fence and south. Anyone been there lately to see how the numbers are?

I did not get an Oryx tag;but did get a 16C bull elk and a 16 deer.One of my friends did get an off range hunt;but not until March.The north end West fence has been hunted very hard and it seems most of the pressure is up there.I live in Williamsburg and might be able to put you on some areas if you don't have ten friends with permits.I will probably buy a land owner tag for about December.If you would like to scout send me a PM and we will see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.