N.E. Utah Speed Goat

hammerem

Speed Goat last Sat. AM. .243 80gr TTSX - 195yds. I was hoping for a bit longer shot but the opportunity was there and it was hard to pass up. Had a hard time working up an accurate load with this bullet but was finally able to get decent groups by pulling the seating depth back more than I would have originally thought. Totally different than varmint bullets.

Very clean kill. Dropped like a ton of bricks on the spot.

Fun hunt!

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 143
Nice job, whats your load? I am having trouble working up a load with this bullet in a .243. Thanks,

I was at .75 MOA, which I didn't consider acceptable. For some reason they really didn't want to tighten up until I pulled them back further off the lands and I got to about .5 MOA. I used 38 gr. 4895, CCI 200, Win Brass (2x fired, neck turned and flash hole uniformed), 2.785 OAL (no crimp). Lots of rounds to get to that point. Good luck!

Thanks! I have about 2.5 lbs of H4895, is that what you are using? Also, do you know how far off the lands you are at 2.785? So far my gun is patterning well (like 5" groups at 100 yards :rolleyes:).

Thank you very much! Im surprised it shot good for you that close to the lands, Barnes typically like to be seated .030-.070+.
Any way congrats on a great goat.

Good luck. Hope you get a load that works for you. My rifle likes varmint bullets nearly at or on the lands so that was my starting point. I might go back even farther on some to see what that does. It'll be interesting. Hope you do well this Fall.

Thanks, we are actually heading to wyoming in 2 weeks but we are not taking the 243. I 25-06 shooting 100 grain TTSX, 257 roberts shooting 80 grain TTSX, and 338 Lapua shooting 280 grain Barnes LRX. We should get a good idea how Barnes Bullets perform on antelope :D gun).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.