Mystery ranch backpacks

I bought a metcalf and then ended up picking up a pintler bag for it. I found that I used the pintler almost exclusively. Most of my hunting were day hunts based out of a truck camp.

I bought a metcalf and then ended up picking up a pintler bag for it. I found that I used the pintler almost exclusively. Most of my hunting were day hunts based out of a truck camp.
That Pintler is a nice bag for a day pack. I liked mine a lot.

I've had some MR packs. For what it's worth I've personally used the Marshall/FILBE/Beartooth packs and my opinion on them is that they suck. That being said, I have one of their 3 day assault packs and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time and it's one of my go to packs. The other ones are way over priced for what little you get. The fit/comfort of the pack is horrible, which for me is about 80% of why I choose a pack. I switched to a KUIU ultra 7000 a number of years ago and have never looked back. Yes there are some minor things I would like to change on my KUIU pack, but they are negligible. For me there is a night and day difference between the big packs.

I have the MR bear tooth. I like it. Can't say anything negative about it. I've also had my eye on the KUIU packs. No particular reason other then it's something new. I might be wrong but I thing the MR was one of the first packs to adjust to allow for a "shelf" for meat hauling. Seems to me Kuiu sort of copied that idea. I just can't justify another $600-$700 for a new pack to replace one that works. Are they any good….???? I say absolutely. Are there better packs??? Maybe. I think you really need to try on packs to see if the fit and frame work for your individual body. I don't really like Eberlestock packs. They just don't fit my body but many many many people do like them. To each their own

I had an older one that never fit me. Packs are like shoes. The old one used the Nice frame. Since then I have the new model Pintler with the Guide Light frame. Much better fit and way lighter!

I have used a mystery ranch beartooth 80 for three yrs I think. With the guidelight frame it's much lighter weight than the older MR packs. Have hauled half of a deboned elk with it.

I think I paid about 350 for mime, I doubt I'd pay full retail for one.

Stone glacier, Exo mountain, kifaru, MR, kuiu, all offer good stuff.

I have a popup 38. Used it last year for the first time. Worked well. Carried half my own elk out over a few trips and made a trip out with a 1/4 of a buddies. I honestly use it as an oversized day pack. I was not disappointed in it. Hopefully get to let it to work again next fall

I've got a MR pop up 28, had a couple badlands before that including the superday. The pop up 28 is a very comfortable day pack with a frame sheet built in and the ability to open up a huge load shelf. With this setup you can take a quarter back with you on the first load out. Very well built, definitely better build quality and functionality than the badlands IMO.
Plus one on the Pop 28. I had the Badlands with no complaints but the fit on MR is like a glove. Also have a Kuiu Venture 2300 and while well made not at the comfort level for me.

I've got two mystery ranch packs. A Metcalf and a Marshall. The Metcalf has hauled out many an elk and has taken an absolute beating and you wouldn't know it by looking at it. I give it an ice water bath after any meat caring and it still looks almost new. Has probably went easily 600 - 700 miles the last few years.

We have ran some pretty heavy loads with the Metcalfs and I love them! I bought one a few years ago before a goat hunt and after that we ended up with one for everyone in the family. Good packs!
310645978_5925858270766792_6082477142124987201_n.jpg
310785973_5925857284100224_1406818838087774103_n.jpg