Mystery Cartridge Found today?

does the dragonove use that same round ?

Yes

TurbosquidPreview.jpgA7451FCA-09DE-4C7D-9FAA-3D8EA2F3AA20Zoom.jpg

Hey guys, my 6yr old boy was collecting spent cartridges for his collection today when we were shooting at the range. It's visibly close to a .308 but definitely longer. Put the caliper on it & is way different than.308. Significantly longer & definitely wider. Rim of case is more wide as well. Also, I'm sure the case is definitely steel & Not brass. My boy asked me what it was & I said 308 buddy, then I looked closer & Im wrong, however I do know some shooters that can probably answer our question......
The 7.62×54mmR is a rimmed rifle cartridge developed by the Russian Empire and introduced as a service cartridge in 1891. Originally designed for the bolt-action Mosin–Nagant rifle, it was used during the late Tsarist era and throughout the Soviet period to the present day. The cartridge remains one of the few standard-issue rimmed cartridges still in military use and has the longest service life of all military-issued cartridges in the world.[4]

The American Winchester Model 1895 was also chambered for this cartridge per a contract with the Russian government. The 7.62×54mmR is still in use by the Russian military in the Dragunov, SV-98 and other sniper rifles, as well as some modern general-purpose machine guns like the PKM and Pecheneg machine gun. Originally, the round was designated as "Трехлинейный патрон образца 1891 года" – (Three-line cartridge model of 1891). It then became widely known under the designation "7,62мм винтовочный патрон" (7.62mm rifle cartridge). The round has erroneously come to be known as the "7.62mm Russian" (and is still often referred to as such colloquially), but, according to standards, the "R" in designation (7.62×54mmR) stands for "rimmed", in line with standard C.I.P. designations.

Hey guys, my 6yr old boy was collecting spent cartridges for his collection today when we were shooting at the range. It's visibly close to a .308 but definitely longer. Put the caliper on it & is way different than.308. Significantly longer & definitely wider. Rim of case is more wide as well. Also, I'm sure the case is definitely steel & Not brass. My boy asked me what it was & I said 308 buddy, then I looked closer & Im wrong, however I do know some shooters that can probably answer our question......
Looks like a 7.62x54R.

what you have is a Russian 7.62 X 54 R made the 21st week of 1967.

Many years ago (1990) I had a friend who was a park ranger in Kruger National Park South Africa. I was visiting one day and the game scouts radioed in giving the location of a newly poached elephant. The scouts had pursued the poachers on foot, but they had gotten away. Anyway we went to the poached carcass and found several casings of the very same 7.62 x 54. The tusks were still in place and as I said the scouts had pursued the poachers who got away. I will look for the photo and post if I find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.