My XP 100 outshot my custom rifle today!

sambo3006

I have a heavy barrel 6.5-284 in an A5 stock that I'm working up a load for with JLK 130 gr VLD's. Haven't found the sweet spot yet for seating depth but my plain jane XP100 7mm-08 pistol with T/C 2.5-7x scope looks to be good to go. Factory other than the rechamber from 7mm BR and a trigger job. Out of the dozen or so 100 yd 3 shot groups I've fired so far with it, none has gone over 1". Today's group went 0.62" with the third shot called pulled to the right. Rifle top targets, XP 100 lower target.

Nice!
My xp's will outshoot my rifles all day long.:D My xp-100 6.5 -.284 will shoot under 1/2" consistently @ 200 yards. Have put hits on steel out to a mile with it. H4350 gets the nod with 130 vld's.
I'd say your pistola is all ready to gogun)
Good shooting,

-mike

Nice!
My xp's will outshoot my rifles all day long.:D My xp-100 6.5 -.284 will shoot under 1/2" consistently @ 200 yards. Have put hits on steel out to a mile with it. H4350 gets the nod with 130 vld's.
I'd say your pistola is all ready to gogun)
Good shooting,

-mike

Ditto my Xp on a bad day still hangs with my rifles on a good day. 1/4" groups are very common with the 18" Xp-100

I'm afraid my XP isn't near as fancy. The previous owner even did some whittling on the forend and base of the grip. I've thought about putting together a custom one but this one serves my purpose.

Nice shooting Sambo. It's amazing to me still the accuracy achieved by such a short little barrel. I'm nowhere near proficient with my xp that I just got.... But it still shoots sub moa consistently with the first load I developed. I'm only using a 6x scope and i do think for me... That limits my accuracy.

Are you all using pistol scopes? I've seen some guys with rifle scopes mounted and always wonder how they avoid getting scope eye! Nothing quite like banging my big nose or eye with a short relief scope.

I run a 6.5-20x50 leupy rifle scope on mine. Never had an issue with scope eye. Scope is mounted as far back as possible and shoot it with about 3/4 field of view

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 185
All of my xp's that wear rifle scopes have muzzle brakes with an exception of my 20 VT's. My 6 Dasher (no brake) has a Burris 7x LER scope. -It just gets used for silhouette shooting at this time. The muzzle brakes make a HUGE difference in recoilgun)

-Mike

Nice shooting. It is really fun to be at the range and have some dip-stick make a snide remark about you being an unethical hunter because you are trying to shoot game with an INACCURATE pistol. :D I actually had this happen a number of years ago. I was shooting a T/C Contender 30-30Win. This fellow was a big mouth blow hard with his "I can shoot the whiskers off a gnat at 500 yards" with his Rem. 742 carbine 30-06. :rolleyes: I could not resist setting the hook on this BIG MOUTH. Goaded him into a little wager on best 5 shot group at 200 yards. :D Walked away with his $50 in my pocket. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.