My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

So then pie plate accuracy between 500-600 is not an issue ?

Given the size of the vital area of most game animals (deer, elk, etc.) I would prefer to keep things a little tighter than a pie plate...that is plate about 8 inches...I'd feel better with "saucer plate" accuracy...about 4 inches, and no more than 6 inches.

In a nutshell...a rifle doesn't have to be benchrest accurate to hunt at 600 yards...a 1 MOA rifle will do just fine...less is better, but 1 MOA will put meat in the freezer.

Given the size of the vital area of most game animals (deer, elk, etc.) I would prefer to keep things a little tighter than a pie plate...that is plate about 8 inches...I'd feel better with "saucer plate" accuracy...about 4 inches, and no more than 6 inches.

In a nutshell...a rifle doesn't have to be benchrest accurate to hunt at 600 yards...a 1 MOA rifle will do just fine...less is better, but 1 MOA will put meat in the freezer.

Tighter is always better in every situation:D:D.After I went back and looked through the posts I seen where you were as tight as .3" @ 100 yds.I was thinking you were at best .5" @ 100 in which case you would have been closer to my 8" estimation.Hope whatever I end up with is as good as you have gotten it.

Tighter is always better in every situation:D:D.After I went back and looked through the posts I seen where you were as tight as .3" @ 100 yds.I was thinking you were at best .5" @ 100 in which case you would have been closer to my 8" estimation.Hope whatever I end up with is as good as you have gotten it.

I've upgraded a few things since I shot those .3" groups...Those were rounds loaded with Lee dies and Winchester brass.

When I switched to Lapua brass and Redding National Match dies (with micrometer seater)...the groups tightened up some.

At 100 yards...it'll print one pretty clean hole...I can always "see" there are 2 shots through it, but haven't yet been able to tell there is a 3rd...basically, a very slightly oblong hole...I do 3 shot groups, plenty enough to feel out a hunting rifle.

If I had the correct scope with fine enough crosshairs, could hold the rifle still enough, and call the wind perfect every shot...it should be capable of 1-2" groups at 600 yards...but my ability seems to be the limiting factor, as such...3-4 inches is what I get.

I've upgraded a few things since I shot those .3" groups...Those were rounds loaded with Lee dies and Winchester brass.

When I switched to Lapua brass and Redding National Match dies (with micrometer seater)...the groups tightened up some.

At 100 yards...it'll print one pretty clean hole...I can always "see" there are 2 shots through it, but haven't yet been able to tell there is a 3rd...basically, a very slightly oblong hole...I do 3 shot groups, plenty enough to feel out a hunting rifle.

If I had the correct scope with fine enough crosshairs, could hold the rifle still enough, and call the wind perfect every shot...it should be capable of 1-2" groups at 600 yards...but my ability seems to be the limiting factor, as such...3-4 inches is what I get.

So in the end what do you think you have into your gun.That is great shooting !!

A so called gunsmith ruined this rifle...drilled a hole through to the chamber while removing a stuck/stripped scope base screw (the front screw)...

ATL Outdoorsmen...Johnson City Tennessee....thats the gunsmith...probably be OK to
CeraKote a pistol or something...the gunsmith himself wasn't such a bad guy...but the store owners were very dishonest, tried to tell me I drilled the **** hole (I would drill a hole through my own testicle before doing that to this rifle)...I only got $150 out of the deal.

Parted the rifle out (what was left of it)...and have a Nosler Custom in 280 Ackley being built as we speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.