My wife picked up her first rifle !

Overkill338

She originally wanted something in Muddy Girl camo. But while I was picking up my Glock 45, she handled some rifles. She found a Savage Axis XP Hunter Stainless that she loved the feel of it, and it fit her perfectly.

A side note: We had to keep our search for lower recoil calibers, due to a stint in her heart, and this rifle I believe will be fine. It is a 6.5 Creedmoor, which definitely was not my picking, but she liked that rifle. I really wanted her to get a .243 if she was going to hunt with us some, but she had her heart set on this rifle, and she came.away with it. It was labeled "Used" but shows no signs of ever firing a shot. So she made her own deal, and got it for $275 out the door. I'm definitely getting her a better scope. The one that's on it is crap.
20191031_172509-1411x346.jpg 20191031_172448-1411x576.jpg

It was a happy day, so we let our son have his Christmas Present early. That way we can get it ready, and he can hunt with it this year. He didn't pick his, it was a surprise. I picked a 7mm-08 for him in a Ruger American "Go Wild", and he absolutely loves it. Me being the "stepdad", I'm teaching him about shooting rifles where no one else has. Then maybe I can work him up to the 7 mag that he wants. I just didn't see that an option. I would have turned a new shooter into a flinch monster.

Here is the pics he took of it on his camo bed lol It makes me proud that he is so happy.
20191031_173530-1612x1209.jpg 20191031_173624-1612x1209.jpg

Nice rifles Sir, nothing wrong with christmas caming early.

Yeah just don't make my mistake. This is how big the mrs is. So you can imagine how p'd she was at me the first time I let her shoot a .300 win mag unassisted.

Last edited:
Yeah just don't make my mistake. This is how big the mrs is. So you can imagine how p'd she was at me the first time I let her shoot a .300 win mag unassisted for the first time.

Lol, I bet she was. I am lucky that my wife enjoys shooting and hunting like I do, she loves shooting her 7mm-08, and my 7mm Rem Mag every once in a while.

Look forward to the first range report! Good glass should make a quite effective rig.

Good call on the 7-08, it should be everything that a kid needs to learn how to be a really good shooter. A 7 mag won't teach him anything faster other than appreciation for long eye relief scopes and good recoil pads

Awesome! You did perfect. The creedmoor is a perfect girl round, the 7-08 is super useful.
I love the 7mm-08, it is a newer 7x57. That makes it THE most perfect Deer round, ever! Of course I also love the .243 Win, .260 Rem, .308 Win, .338 Fed, and .358 Win :D .......oh yea, and the .22-243 Middlestead.

I love the 7mm-08, it is a newer 7x57. That makes it THE most perfect Deer round, ever! Of course I also love the .243 Win, .260 Rem, .308 Win, .338 Fed, and .358 Win :D .......oh yea, and the .22-243 Middlestead.
Ahhhh the 358 win interest's me, was thinking a single shot deer rifle in that cartridge!

Ahhhh the 358 win interest's me, was thinking a single shot deer rifle in that cartridge!
I urge you to look into the .338 Federal. With the 160 TTSX, it is a heckuva nice deer thumper. The 210 Partition, 185 or 210 TTSX, gives you a 250 yard Elk thumper. I really want something in .338 Federal myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.