My Trip To Defensive Edge Long Range Shooting School

broz,

Have you changed the way you do anything, since the class? do you still use the same program? still input the same information etc?

thanks,

bill

Bill, Haven't really changed my shootin disiplin and I still use the same programs, (Shooter) and ( Nightforce / Exbal) I did jump on the band wagon for multiple BC's for the exbal. Shawn shared some of his info for that. I guessthe biggest thing I gained was the way I look at wind. I feel I have a better unerstanding of drift and lift as in how it pretains to ground contour.

Jeff

Great story you wrote and greater pics. Sounds like a good time and inve$tment. High tech showing and choice of "Tombstone" for a reallyremote movie event is awesome given its generally historic telling and accuracy right down to Sheriff Behan and Turkey Creek Jack's Masonic jewelry. COngrats on a great trip and pix.

All I can think to say is WOW . Hell of an article and great pics. Looks like I am going to have to check into this. I am new to the long range shooting and am severely hooked so far my best is 892 yds only because that was all we had. I really think this class would be a great learning experience for me. I am going to check into this asap. Thanks for the info.

Broz,

The ONLY readily glaring comment-able observation is KETCHUP with a Steak!!!! What's that about???:D

Great Post Broz!

Roy, I love your sense of humor!!! Broz is also a "deleated" .... cracking up!!!! LOL

Broz, I'm glad for you!

Some of us can only dream... Not complaining, just saying.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Broz, I have a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 NXS, NP-R2. As you know there's 2 moa separation between the line marks at 22 zoom power. If I set it at 16.5 zoom power,
if my numbers are right, there would be 3 moa between separations. So from center
to half way down it'd be 30 moa + 71.3 moa to dial using the turrets would account
for the about 101.3 MOA that at 5000' elevation I would need for 2400 yards... How
were you guys accomplishing it? Right now my set up has about 80 MOA available
for vertical adjustment. :)

Eaglet, Right now I have 91 moa up on my 338 LM due to the canted 40 moa Near Base. The shots we took at 2300 plus were only to see how the Berger Gen 2's would react to going sub sonic. I am going off of memory here but I think I needed like 94 moa. for the shots at 2300 and change at a 16* shot angle. So I dialed all but about 2 moa in the turret (89 moa ) and then held over the additional needed using the reticle. I have a NP-R1 on my LM too. We shot at a large rock wall using a small white spot for point of aim, so hits could be seen. We were not concerned with point of impact, only group size.

Jeff

That's excellent, makes sense. Did them bullets go erratic or they kind of behaved
alright after all the subsonic distance they flew?

Great info!

That's excellent, makes sense. Did them bullets go erratic or they kind of behaved
alright after all the subsonic distance they flew?

Great info!

Eaglet, they did well. Shawn is going to write a complete report on the results. I would expect it will be a week or so after he gets his last class done for the season.

Jeff

Broz: I believe that you correct for spin drift and coriolis. What are your thoughts on this after the class? It looks like things have changed a little since I was in N Idaho.

I was primarily using the "Shooter" program for this class. On this program I leave the spin drift correction on for all shots. I manually turn on coriolis for shots over 1200 yards. With this program on my Droix phone it is easy to obtain azmuth by simply pushing the "Get Azmuth" button, pointing the phone at the target and pushing hold. So the only other thing you need to enter is the latitude. I had a good number of 1st round hits using this method so I do not plan to change anything at this time. In some cases the correction is very small and probably could not be distinguished between a wind drift or shooter error. But in some cases the correction is big enough to matter so I figure it is worth entering into the shooting solution.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.