My torch and drill annealer

justinp61

I finished it this AM, $13 and about a hour and a half is all I have invested in it. For the number of cases I'll do it'll be fine I think.

IMG_4542.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg
IMG_4544.jpg
IMG_4545.jpg

That's a great idea! I've been pondering doing something just like this. Have you tried it out yet? Of course it would depend on what brand drill for overall hieght but curious what your nozzle tip to casing measurement is? Would give me a place to start anyway.

nice job. I use something similar to hold the tank and set distance from flame to case. it is nice not have to worry about knocking tank over.

Thanks guys, I like the KISS idea, it seems to fit me.

The box was built with some adjustability in mind, it's deeper than it needs to be so blocks can be added to raise the torch. If you look in the first photo you'll see the bottle is sitting on a 3/4" piece of plywood. Also the top piece that has the hole for the bottle can be moved from side to side if needed and the stops for the drill can be moved also. My thought were to leave the drill in one place and adjust the bottle as necessary. I plan on putting a piece of masking tape on the bottle where it comes through the top so I can put a witness mark on it and the box so the set up will be the same every time.

74, it's about 1 3/4" from the end of the torch to the center of the shell holder. That distance will be dependent on the flame.

elf, for longer or shorter cases the drill will need to be moved back and forth. It's set up for 260 and 22-250 now, for 22-250 all I have to do is rotate the torch just a bit. Out of curiosity I stuck a 30-06 case in it, the drill will need to be moved back about 3/8". The only reason I see to raise the torch would be to heat the case quicker, something I'm going to try.

I had an idea to build something like this so I set it up on my welding table and experimented with different heights and torch locations. When I found something that worked I took the measurements and made the box. I ruined several cases figuring it out but in the end it works well and was cheap to make.

I did notice you had it setup to be able to move the tank with the top plate. Thanks for the measurement for me to start with. Like you, have been thinking of doing this just wasn't sure how exactly I wanted to do it. Really like how you made this. Makes for repeatability.

Nice! I was using the propane without box but like your setup for height adjustment. Not to mention huge safety improvement to prevent tip over. Thankfully I had the Lee cause no way I could make it.

I finished it this AM, $13 and about a hour and a half is all I have invested in it. For the number of cases I'll do it'll be fine I think.

View attachment 267404View attachment 267405View attachment 267406View attachment 267407
I saw a video that Erik Cortina made about annealing brass & consistency. Results were surprising. He annealed 3 pieces for 10 sec, 3 more at 15 sec and roasted 3 more at 20 sec. All the same lot of brass and all the same torch flame setting, just different amounts of time. He was unable to identify an real differences between neck tension among those three sets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.