My take on a vietnam M40

please don't make hunt up Carlos' book! (I have an autographed copy) Going from memory, I think Carlos started out with a Unertel before they went with the Redfield. Plus somewhere in the mix they used a Weaver K series. Think his last scope was a very early Leatherwood. I never saw Hathcock in the bush, but we traveled the same A.O. so it's still possible. I did see J.T. Ward once or twice.

I think Hathcock started out using a 30-06 in a Mod.70, and later made the switch to 7.62x51. The A.O. was tough, and I've stood in the "Y" of the road from Baldy to Ross. In the book 91 confirmed kills they speak of the modified M2 machine gun. But S.F. teams had them in late 1966 out on the border. Used the biggest rifle scope I've ever seen, and was light amplified with a 6 volt battery. The tripod was completely different than the normal M2 tripod. They were making 2500+yd. one shot kills.
gary

Many things were used during the war Gary so I cannot refute what you say. A modified .458 Win. cartridge was used by some SOG units. The cartridge was named the .458 American. Weapon was suppressed and ammo was subsonic. Don't think it went over too big.
That scope you referred to was most likely an infra red scope. Only good to about 300 if I remember correctly. It too was short lived I think. The Star Light was better than the one it replaced.
..... LARRY

Many things were used during the war Gary so I cannot refute what you say. A modified .458 Win. cartridge was used by some SOG units. The cartridge was named the .458 American. Weapon was suppressed and ammo was subsonic. Don't think it went over too big.
That scope you referred to was most likely an infra red scope. Only good to about 300 if I remember correctly. It too was short lived I think. The Star Light was better than the one it replaced.
..... LARRY

Never saw or heard of the .458 American, but can see it happening. SOG pretty much had every weapon at their disposal. Most folks don't know it, but SOG had several trained snipers. Yet rarely used them. I never saw a single SOG sniper pass thru our base camp, yet saw about every other combo at one time or another. Most carried an M16 in one form or another (often the CAR15). I have seen several carrying the vaunted M14 (with what looked like standard peep sights) and a CAR 15 hanging on the backs. Some (if not 75%) of teams used the M60, but a few used a modified RPD. I did see a couple teams carrying what looked like Winchester Mod.12 sawed off shot guns, and maybe two or three using K guns.

SOG guys I was around practiced extreme noise discipline. Shots were almost always in the fifty foot range and less. That's why they rarely if ever carried an AK47. Was always told that their goal was to gather data, and stay close to the NVA without making contact. Pretty much the same for LRRP's. They had "hatchet teams" for making contact, and those boys came in armed and dangerous!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.