My Super Bad Experience with GUNWERKS So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianc74

I bought one of the GRB actions 1st part of the year. Received it through my ffl. The action looked great. Bought the rest of the components for a full custom build and sent it off to John Beanland. He built the rifle and received it April. Sold all my other rifles to go to Africa with my buddy Robert. Started to season the barrel in late May to June. After I fired a round, it would not eject out off the port area. It would just bounce off the scope and lane backwards in the port area. So I could not rack another round in. I had to dig the empty brass out of the area. I thought the brass just needed resized. So I countinued to season the barrel and fire form the brass. So I had 50 pieces of brass. I neck sized them and the same problem. I call Gunwerks in early July. After talking with the public relations manager Travis. He stated my bolt was manufactured incorrectly and that they had been aware of it for a few months. He stated I was supposed to have been contacted and a new bolt sent to me. I was never notified at all nor did I receive a bolt. Travis supposed to have sent another bolt to me the 1st of the month. But according to him it went to a address I live 4 years ago in another city. According to Travis. He stated he does not have the authority to fix this problem. Only the higher management does. At this time I have a fully built custom rifle that does not work propperly because of the GRB action. I also did not go on the African hunt because of no rifle. I had a South African weapon permit pulled for this rifle and no others. I would be in South Africa now. I am going on week 6 of getting the runaround with gunwerks. I have lost $1700 cash and a African hunt of a lifetime. I also lost a Deprevation hunt that I traded a generator for. What should I do???

Brian

Last edited:
It's my opinion that they just don't care about me as a small customer. I feel at this time that they just want me to deal with it my self, even though Travis even admitted it was all their fault for lack of follow through and they had failed at taking care of the problem correctly or at all. I gen left a message on Aaron Davidson's phone yesterday for him to call me. The receptionist stated Aaron was in the building in meetings. I still have not received a call.

Brian

You need to do just what you have done, get Aaron involved, whatever that takes. I will be surprised if he doesn't make sure you get an action that works.

I don't understand what Travis said, seems he contradicted himself.

He sent you a replacement bolt but he doesn't have the authority to help you?

And a personal suggestion from me. If you are an avid hunter, never let yourself own just one rifle.

Last edited:
I would have my Lawyer contact them via Certified Mail..Go beyond " some guy called"
It's not fit for it's intended use and they admit knowing that!

I am assuming that your friend didn't have a rifle that you could both use on the hunt?

So the bolt is ejecting the round, what happens when you have no scope on the rifle? Will it eject the casing?

Having a custom rifle built that doesn't function as you want is a pain. They need to get that bolt to you right away. I'm however, going to call ******** on skipping an african hunt for "lack of a rifle". Yours functions as a single shot. Your 2nd round was available, just not as fast as normal. Most of my African animals have been one shot kills.
Second, failing that, every african PH I know of has a loaner or rental rifle for you to use. I've had to use one when my rifle didn't show up. I realize its a pain not having your own rifle, but its possible.
Third, you figured out the problem a little time out. Almost all of us have a buddy or family member that we could borrow a rifle from. Pre approval can be done in 3 weeks in a pinch. Otherwise fill out the paperwork there. Been to Africa 4 times and I know they will "make a plan".
The real beef is that Gunwerks is giving you the run around. That is not acceptable. They need to step up to the plate and get that new bolt to you ASAP.
Bruce

You have more than that one rifle, guaranteed...you're on here and every other site weekly buying and selling rifles... sounds like a reason for you to flame Gunwerks for your lack of proper planning .

Having a custom rifle built that doesn't function as you want is a pain. They need to get that bolt to you right away. I'm however, going to call ******** on skipping an african hunt for "lack of a rifle". Yours functions as a single shot. Your 2nd round was available, just not as fast as normal. Most of my African animals have been one shot kills.
Second, failing that, every african PH I know of has a loaner or rental rifle for you to use. I've had to use one when my rifle didn't show up. I realize its a pain not having your own rifle, but its possible.
Third, you figured out the problem a little time out. Almost all of us have a buddy or family member that we could borrow a rifle from. Pre approval can be done in 3 weeks in a pinch. Otherwise fill out the paperwork there. Been to Africa 4 times and I know they will "make a plan".
The real beef is that Gunwerks is giving you the run around. That is not acceptable. They need to step up to the plate and get that new bolt to you ASAP.
Bruce

You just said what I was going to say.

True all. I should have planned on this rifle not working as planned I guess. And had a contingentsy plan in order. I did not plan on ever going to Africa. When I decided to go what's in April. Was going to get this rifle back. Needed funds to go to Africa. So sold a ton of stuff. I was relying on travel against and the the Afton house on making sure all was good getting my rifle into the country. Had read horror story's of just one thing tong on the paperwork and they hold onto it. That why I hired the Afton House as a meet and greet. I guess I could have not cancelled and worked up a load and shot it as a single shot. Robert shot most of his animals 400 to almost 700 yards. I did not want to borrow a rifle when I got there and shoot at game I have never hunted on a continent I have never been. Especially at those distances. By canceling I lost the $683 for my part of the safari, $900 in airfare 25% and $200 for the meet and greet with Pre-approved weapons permit with the Afton House. I just figured the whole point to me going was to shoot some great animals with my own rifle. I felt it would be really bad of me to just shoot stuff and probably injure or injure unintended animals and have to pay for those aswell. So I cancelled just days before leaving.

LongBomber. The rifle will eject one out of four cases withou the scope. The other 3 just flop back on top of the feed lips of the shell box on top of the next round.

I don't know if he test fired it. I would think he did. But maybe only after installing the barrel. Really don't believe this is a gunsmith issue. Travis already admitted the extractor and ejector was cut wrong and something else. That's why the supposedly sent a new bolt months before I called them. The Smith was John Beanland. He is one of the best. Just my opinion.

highdrum. Holly Molly. Your Smith is going to Proof your rifle with 25 round?
So basically he will do your Barrel break in?
That is awesome!!!!

Edd. I am going to keep a 30-06 in the safe as a backup from now on.

Brian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts