My sons latest Kansas bruiser

I appreciate all the comments gentlemen. I read them to my son and he had a smile ear to ear and was so happy that other hunters were happy for him and proud of him.

here is a picture of his first deer, shot last year….same boots. I may have to pack those boots with us until he's a grow man and then have him pack them until he has his own little savage.

E09D9205-39DF-43E2-9CFA-5847368FC506.jpeg

After reading this thread, I think I'll call my Dad in the morning while he is still fresh. Got a few memories I want to go over with him. He's 98 and was the one who took me hunting for so many years. Your son is very blessed.
Brings tears to my eyes! My dad was killed in a tractor accident way back when I was 24. He was my hero on every level. Character, integrity, brain power, work ethic and loved to help others more than anything else in life. Thirty years later I still hear guys in our town say "If Bob was here he could help you."

Enjoy the good stuff!!!! You never know when........

I appreciate all the comments gentlemen. I read them to my son and he had a smile ear to ear and was so happy that other hunters were happy for him and proud of him.

here is a picture of his first deer, shot last year….same boots. I may have to pack those boots with us until he's a grow man and then have him pack them until he has his own little savage.

View attachment 297004
Yes I had a blast wreaking havoc on all kinds of wildlife as a kid. But threads like these are the greatest!!!
The best hunts of my life all involve my 6 kids and deer. One of my favorites was hearing my daughters voice
shake uncontrollably when we saw a true giant..."Oh My Gosh He is Huge!!!!"
We didn't get him. He stood behind a tree for 45 minutes and waited till dark to escape. If there was ever a 180-200"
10 point with a 25" inside spread and baseball bat thick main beams that would have went 30" it was him!!

Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Congratulations! The only problem I see, as already mentioned, is where does he go from here. Going to be hard to keep adding inches like that every year! My youngest just went off to college - going to miss him this season... Enjoy the 12 or 13 years you have left with him - they go by waaay too fast.

Thanks gents!

We were both beyond stoked when he shot this guy. It was 90 degrees out and about 100 in the blind, he sucked it up to wait for "power hour" as he calls it. He was rocking his pajama pants because his hunting clothes I bought him were too heavy and he was sweating buckets as it was. So I wanted full coverage for the walk in but light as possible. I wish we could have taken better pictures but there were seemingly millions of mosquitoes trying to drain him dry ha.

I had this buck patterned for a couple weeks and knew we would get a crack at him if we got a north wind. 10-15 minutes of legal light left and he settled his crosshairs on him. I know he shoots High habitually, so I only dialed .3 Mils so he would be about 4" low at 275 where the buck was. He doesn't know that but it worked out and he still HIGH shouldered him ha. Dropped him in his tracks though. this kid has banged more steel at long range and dry fires more than I did when I was shooting PRS ha.

He shot him with a smokeless muzzle loader I just slapped together. PVA cut me a Prefit for my origin and I am getting 3050 fps with a 300gr xld out of a 25" barrel with H4895. It sits in a manners CS2.0 with full arca so it locks into my RRS tripod and I hang weights from it to reduce recoil along with the shockwave 4 port brake. With no brake it will murder you, but the way i set it up, it's like shooting a 223.

i am exhausted from dragging that pig solo and processing him all night. Got up at 6 to get him ready for school and get to work. He's begging to go shoot a doe tonight, but his old man may need a brief one night respite….getting old sucks!
I thought you Dallas might be primitive hunting unless they had a special youth hunt. I'm guessing you guys live in Kansas, or really close. I recall my time there in Sept. on a primitive hunt I considered a "bucket list" hunt. Not too long ago. Everything you described brought back the memories. It was 98 degrees in the afternoon of the day I took mine, but before the sun got up good on top of the mesa, the mosquitos waged war like it was in a South Carolina swamp. And yes, walking in and stalking to get down wind definitely required long pants! I shot high, just like your son, hitting the spine in my case. And when you talk about the drag and processing... getting a nigh-300 lb, 6 1/2 yo whitetail out of a canyon and completely deboned is an experience all unto itself.

Like many, I suspect, I never had anybody to take me on an adventure anything like what you just did for your son. It wasn't until I was right at 40yo that I could even get myself on a hunt of that nature. Always remind him of the blessings he has and to give thanks and have an admiration for every day he spends afield whether successful at bagging game or not, every animal he sees, and every moment together with you and the rest of the family. That said, he'll be a legend at school, so teach him to handle the fame well!😉

Also to the last thing you said, yes, getting old is the worst! Teach that young man to never do it!😆 Eating good foods that God has provided, getting enough sleep, saying his prayers, minding his mom and dad, and staying outdoors working (and playing) where there is some sweating involved, and getting some down time doing what he loves will keep him young well into his 90s! I did none of those things and got old in half that time!🤣 Man, if I had it to do over again!

Congratulations to the young hunter, and to his dad for being a real man and giving of himself to ensure the well being of this child and those for generations to come because they will have a blueprint of what family life, responsibility, and love looks like! Drive on!!

You are definitely on the roster for father of the year! Congratulations to you both sir. Mine just turned 3 and I am already trying to figure how to get them ready. My boy loves to look at my trail cam photos with me and decide on shooters. I sure hope he changes his strategy some because everything with a rack is a shooter as of now lol.
Plowboy, here's my just turned 3 yr old. He hunts boars with me with the dogs. Hope he can stab his first boar soon lol. We hunt a cpl times a week and he bugs me non-stop to go hunt boars it's too funny. Now l know how my dad felt hahaha. Hope you find a way to get your son out hunting with you brother.

In the pic I'm asking him where's the boars? And he told me "up there" lol classic!

Attachments

• 20210908_101010.jpg
    20210908_101010.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
At the old age of 5 and a half my son dropped his second buck ever. His first was a 130" 3.5 year old. This is what he decided to shoot this year…..both on public land. View attachment 296768
That's terrible!!!! ....................Poor kid has nothing to look forward to now! HA! That one will be hard to beat!! Tell ya the truth......I'm jealous! WOW! CONGRATS!!!

Fire in the hole, 3050 FPS with a 300 grain projectile, Holy Smokes!! That's nearly 460 Weatherby territory, glad it workD out for the Kid, what a story for a campfire. ThinkN 6,200 ft lb of energy is nearly double power of the ole 30-06, that'll stop a buck, hope ya put that on you tube, awesome firepower there!! nice shootN kid!!