My sons latest Kansas bruiser

Thanks gents!

We were both beyond stoked when he shot this guy. It was 90 degrees out and about 100 in the blind, he sucked it up to wait for "power hour" as he calls it. He was rocking his pajama pants because his hunting clothes I bought him were too heavy and he was sweating buckets as it was. So I wanted full coverage for the walk in but light as possible. I wish we could have taken better pictures but there were seemingly millions of mosquitoes trying to drain him dry ha.

I had this buck patterned for a couple weeks and knew we would get a crack at him if we got a north wind. 10-15 minutes of legal light left and he settled his crosshairs on him. I know he shoots High habitually, so I only dialed .3 Mils so he would be about 4" low at 275 where the buck was. He doesn't know that but it worked out and he still HIGH shouldered him ha. Dropped him in his tracks though. this kid has banged more steel at long range and dry fires more than I did when I was shooting PRS ha.

He shot him with a smokeless muzzle loader I just slapped together. PVA cut me a Prefit for my origin and I am getting 3050 fps with a 300gr xld out of a 25" barrel with H4895. It sits in a manners CS2.0 with full arca so it locks into my RRS tripod and I hang weights from it to reduce recoil along with the shockwave 4 port brake. With no brake it will murder you, but the way i set it up, it's like shooting a 223.

i am exhausted from dragging that pig solo and processing him all night. Got up at 6 to get him ready for school and get to work. He's begging to go shoot a doe tonight, but his old man may need a brief one night respite….getting old sucks!
Nice story and glad to see you're raising him right. Parenting is work but it's priceless. Glad yall are experiencing adventures/life together instead of plopping him in front of a TV endlessly.

Man, pushing a 300 grain bullet 3050 fps is smokin even though its supposed to be smokeless muzzleloader!:)

I'm sure your 5 year old son needs a 4 port brake with weights and its no wonder he shoots high with all that recoil. That's a full grown man's gun for sure even with the brake and weights. I'm just guessing this is .45 caliber?
I was not even aware of the smokeless muzzle loader technology for converting center fire rifles to smokeless muzzle loaders
that can shoot lights out and put some heat downrange at long distances to 1100-1200 yards.

Daniel Boone wouldn't even have to lick his thumb and dab the sites on OL Betsy.

Your son is in Kid heaven with a dad who can set him up with all this and even rope and stake out the biggest bucks in Kansas for him to shoot in his pajamas. Wow! Impressive! The son, the deer, and the rifle, and of course dear oL Dad.

Thanks gents!

We were both beyond stoked when he shot this guy. It was 90 degrees out and about 100 in the blind, he sucked it up to wait for "power hour" as he calls it. He was rocking his pajama pants because his hunting clothes I bought him were too heavy and he was sweating buckets as it was. So I wanted full coverage for the walk in but light as possible. I wish we could have taken better pictures but there were seemingly millions of mosquitoes trying to drain him dry ha.

I had this buck patterned for a couple weeks and knew we would get a crack at him if we got a north wind. 10-15 minutes of legal light left and he settled his crosshairs on him. I know he shoots High habitually, so I only dialed .3 Mils so he would be about 4" low at 275 where the buck was. He doesn't know that but it worked out and he still HIGH shouldered him ha. Dropped him in his tracks though. this kid has banged more steel at long range and dry fires more than I did when I was shooting PRS ha.

He shot him with a smokeless muzzle loader I just slapped together. PVA cut me a Prefit for my origin and I am getting 3050 fps with a 300gr xld out of a 25" barrel with H4895. It sits in a manners CS2.0 with full arca so it locks into my RRS tripod and I hang weights from it to reduce recoil along with the shockwave 4 port brake. With no brake it will murder you, but the way i set it up, it's like shooting a 223.

i am exhausted from dragging that pig solo and processing him all night. Got up at 6 to get him ready for school and get to work. He's begging to go shoot a doe tonight, but his old man may need a brief one night respite….getting old sucks!
Wow...that's some outstanding stuff for so many reasons. That young fella is hunting and shooting big bucks at an age when most are still sucking on their Mama's teet. I have a feeling that in years to come, there's gonna be quite a few big bucks that will fall with him on the trigger...
And thank you for sharing the specs on the smokeless muzz, and the setup used for reducing recoil. I probably hunt more with my smokeless than all other rifles combined. I'm shooting 73.5g of 4198 behind a 325gr Pittman, and the recoil is stiff. I just started using a tripod setup, and I'm hoping it tames the kick a little.
One last thing, this smokeless that u built sounds great....and I'm wondering how u incorporated the breech plug? And what type of ignition ?
Congrats to both of you again, and i hope your Son eventually realized how lucky he is to live in the great state of Kansas....and grow up with a Dad that can just throw together a smokeless muzz and figure out a way that he can shoot it without knocking his small frame into next week.

Recent Posts