My Son's 6-Point

morgaj1

Despite the current handloading component shortage, I have been able to scrape together enough components to keep my son practicing with his deer rifle (Ruger American 7mm-8 with Leupold VX2) and it paid off this weekend. On Saturday, he made a great shot on this 6 point, ranged at 173 yards. As you would expect with a 12yo, he has been guilty of rushing his shot and missing. On this one, he took his time and made a great shot and was his first bang-flop spine shot. He couldn't stand to see the deer moving around on the ground and shot again (gut shot).

We have a lot of mature (200lb+) feral hogs on our land, so we started loading bonded bullets. I'll have to say, I have been most impressed with the performance of Hornady Interbonds for hogs and deer. We always get pass through, even on the biggest hogs.

Attachments

• Chase 6-Point 12:19:20.jpg
    Chase 6-Point 12:19:20.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 546
The one good sized buck I shot with an interbond (139gr 7mm-08) was a bang flop also. Like the integrity of the bullet, however I never found a load my rifle liked so I moved on to another bonded (140AB 7mm-08)

You tell your son he did well and has a lot more to shoot in coming years. Couldn't get pic to enlarge but enjoyed it :) Good to see young people carrying on the hunting tradition, the future of the sport belongs to them. Good Shooting!

Despite the current handloading component shortage, I have been able to scrape together enough components to keep my son practicing with his deer rifle (Ruger American 7mm-8 with Leupold VX2) and it paid off this weekend. On Saturday, he made a great shot on this 6 point, ranged at 173 yards. As you would expect with a 12yo, he has been guilty of rushing his shot and missing. On this one, he took his time and made a great shot and was his first bang-flop spine shot. He couldn't stand to see the deer moving around on the ground and shot again (gut shot).

We have a lot of mature (200lb+) feral hogs on our land, so we started loading bonded bullets. I'll have to say, I have been most impressed with the performance of Hornady Interbonds for hogs and deer. We always get pass through, even on the biggest hogs.
Congratulations to your son on the deer 🦌 he got

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.