My Son-in-laws Christmas Present

My son in law is a good kid that works really hard. He takes really good care of my daughter. But, he doesn't have a lot of money. About three months ago we were talking about hunting. Him and his family are hunters. He showed me his hunting rifle, which consisted of a Rem 710 .270 with an old Bushnell scope. We took it to the range and I couldn't shoot any less than 3" groups. So, I went home and loaded some rounds for it. The best I could get was 1.5-2" groups at 100. Oh ya, he is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle. He is definitely left eye dominant.

After the day at the range, my wife and I started talking about his crappy rifle. My wife's answer was "build him one like yours". God if she knew the price tag on that, she wouldn't be saying that, I thought. She asked what would it cost? I was a bit hesitant, but I said, "probably around $2500 without optics." To my surprise she was all for it. To make a long story short, here is his Christmas gift: Rem 700, 300 Win mag, Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, McMillan stock, Terminator muzzle brake, and HS precision bottom metal. Barreled action built by LRI. Stock work, including paint, done by me.
He's a good kid, hope he stays that way.
View attachment 164344 View attachment 164345
Well done what a beautiful build and obviously built with love
I am sure he will be over the moon lol
I have 2 sons who dont hunt dont know who i will leave my collection to lol
Merry Christmas let everyone know what his reaction is I think it will be priceless

My son in law is a good kid that works really hard. He takes really good care of my daughter. But, he doesn't have a lot of money. About three months ago we were talking about hunting. Him and his family are hunters. He showed me his hunting rifle, which consisted of a Rem 710 .270 with an old Bushnell scope. We took it to the range and I couldn't shoot any less than 3" groups. So, I went home and loaded some rounds for it. The best I could get was 1.5-2" groups at 100. Oh ya, he is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle. He is definitely left eye dominant.

After the day at the range, my wife and I started talking about his crappy rifle. My wife's answer was "build him one like yours". God if she knew the price tag on that, she wouldn't be saying that, I thought. She asked what would it cost? I was a bit hesitant, but I said, "probably around $2500 without optics." To my surprise she was all for it. To make a long story short, here is his Christmas gift: Rem 700, 300 Win mag, Brux barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, McMillan stock, Terminator muzzle brake, and HS precision bottom metal. Barreled action built by LRI. Stock work, including paint, done by me.
Feels great doesn't it to do something so special! Good on you......and don't worry if he doesn't stay such a good kid.....you already will have given him and yourself a solution... Generally looks like suicide first if you're shot with your own gun....!

This is a wonderful gift. When you find your daughter with a good man, it makes life much better and it is not easy to find. With 3 daughters, I know.

As to a lefty shooting a RH gun, I been doing it all my life and wouldn't think of changing but that's just my opinion. Have a great Christmas and Hanukkah, all!

What a wonderful gift for both of you. He'll cherish that rifle forever because you built it just for him.
My ex father in law did something like this for me. He basically picked out him dream elk rifle set up for me as a wedding present when his daughter and I relocated to CO from MI. He is a keeper........ his daughter not so much. Anyway, I still love that rifle and think of him whenever I take it hunting.

Fantastic! That will be a family treasure forever. He is going to be one excited young man.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.